This '72 project has been sitting on the back burner for 6-7 years. I was going to sell it, but got the usual "You pay me to take it" offers. The original plan years ago was to insert a '95 LT-1 in it, but I've decided to stay low-tech. The previous owner was a Bondo champion and the world's foremost expert in cobbling.
I did have the entire front end done with all new parts and bushings. The engine is a bone stock 4-bolt 350. It has a 350TH trans and 3.55 gears that are housed in a pre-'67 Chevelle rear end.
Some more before pics of the filthy engine compartment and the disasterous interior. The previous owner put a bench seat in it that didn't fold down. So...there's no place to put the spare tire, jack, etc.
Luckily, I didn't find the usual windshield rot by the cowl. The plan is to install another dash, tilt wheel, and some better seats.
Reinstalled the new(er) dash from a GM Sprint. This dash doesn't have the usual vents on each end. The old dash, of unknown origin, had the vents, but there wasn't anything connected to them, nor was there any way to connect anything. Strange. Bought the Sprint dash at a swap meet a few years ago for $10.
The old dash harness was fairly complete, with only a few of those dreaded "twist-and-tape" old splices. Cleaned all of the connectors and soldered all the corrections/splices. I also added courtesy lights to assist the totally lacking dome light.
The outer heater box was rusted out and none were readily available so I glassed the holes, and POR-15'd the inner and outer boxes. I found the previous owner had cobbled the assembly together and apparently forgot the foam around the core inlet/outlet inside. So...he tried to put it in from the firewall side!
The firewall has about a bzillion holes from installs of God knows what equipment. I'll fix those when I pull the front end and engine next year.
Some pics of the engine compartment progress. I changed out the fudball Q-jet for one I rebuilt. The '72 s didn't have an overflow tank for the radiator, so I used a tip from a friend and used an extra washer tank and hid it in the fender behind the battery. The tilt column I installed as too long so I broke the plastic pins in the interim steering shaft and shortened it. Everything appeared to work except the column wiring connector which had to be changed out. I also reinstalled the old charcoal cannister after de-cobbling the fuel tank plumbing. Some idiot ran rubber fuel line from the tank, through the frame, up to the fuel pump!! Luckily the original steel line was still there, so I was able to blow it out and reuse it.