Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: MI2600's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View MI2600's profile Entries: 17
Views: 10781
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 4

07-28-2006 10:20 AM Cowl
Last year I removed the lower windshield molding and POR-15'd under it to prevent cowl rot. The rest of the cowl had about a 100 coats of paint...all cracked and nasty looking. I tried a wire wheel and a rinky-dink sander wheel. I need to go buy a new tool to clean this area up.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #12]

07-28-2006 10:12 AM Still More Disassembly
I removed the steering box and front sway bar and cleaned painted them. I found someone has "massaged" the firewall, probably for an HEI, but it's going to have to stay that way. Luckily, it will be hidden. The brake lines look decent so I'm just going to remove and clean them and their brackets. Now it's small brush time.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #11]

07-28-2006 09:54 AM More Disassembly
I found the front frame end on the passenger had been "customized" in some sort of encounter. A friend of mine beat it back into shape for me. I removed the 350 and the 350 trans. The trans had at least 1/4" or more of pure crud, along with the crossmember. I plan on selling the trans to fund other projects. Last year I cleaned some of the outer front end, but now the REAL work began. I never realized there were so many nooks and crannies.
The last pic is the fender I couldn't get off because of the bondo.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #10]

07-28-2006 09:42 AM Starting Disassembly
I finally decided I had better start this year's work and got the '72 into the garage. Started with the front bezels and grille (which I found was broken). The radiator support and brackets were rotted worse than I thought, but I've got another good one all prepped in the basement. I had thought about removing the front clip assembled to clean, paint and install the new engine, But, after brief inspection decided to pull it all apart. One of the previous owners (the bondo king) apparently decided to cover the bottom fender bolts and I had to chisel the bondo off them.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

06-24-2006 09:02 AM Console and Rear End
I was able to get the console set between the seats. It looked pretty good...then the problems began. One small glitch in an otherwise brilliant plan. The seats were were too close to the console and the console lid wouldn't open all the way. I spent the next two weeks redoing the floor because the previous "cobble-king" owner had his own design concepts.
Finally, with the seats moved outward, I fabricated some brackets and got the console in. I got most of the gauges hooked up and the tach working. I tapped into the dash light circuit for the console lights...then I found the dash lights weren't working. Another story.
I bought a 3.08 differential from a friend to replace the 3.55 gas guzzler gears. I figure the new gears and and a 200R4 should provide halfway decent mileage even with the soon to be installed 406.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 4


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.