With the bucket seats in, I felt I needed an armrest. I also wanted to add gauges to supplement the factory idiot lights.
I picked up a console from a 4-speed '82-'92 Camaro off Ebay. I removed the heater and radio section in the front and replaced it with plexiglas. I was able to get a Sun tach and AutoGage oil pressure, voltmeter, water temp, and vacuum gauges mounted in the plexiglas.
I removed the original Camaro switches and replaced them with illuminated rocker switches. They will control the 200R4 lock-up, console lighting and some as yet undetermined item.
I mounted a VDO clock from a Porsche (worth 50 extra HP) where the original Camaro clock would have been.
Lastly, I removed the shifter area and replaced it with a felt-lined plexiglas box I made for loose change, etc.
Another shot of the engine compartment. I won't be able to really clean it out and fill the firewall holes until I pull the engine next year. Slow but perceptible progress.
Finished reassembling the dash. If I ever do this again I'll make sure I make note of how the harness is routed in the area of the steering column and the speedometer. I didn't...what a hassle. I installed the stereo dash cover and speakers. I also installed bucket seats donated by my son from a '90s Thunderbird. They're not pristine, but they are leather and have power lumbar in addition to the usual up-down-back-forward, etc. BIG change!
Some pics of the engine compartment progress. I changed out the fudball Q-jet for one I rebuilt. The '72 s didn't have an overflow tank for the radiator, so I used a tip from a friend and used an extra washer tank and hid it in the fender behind the battery. The tilt column I installed as too long so I broke the plastic pins in the interim steering shaft and shortened it. Everything appeared to work except the column wiring connector which had to be changed out. I also reinstalled the old charcoal cannister after de-cobbling the fuel tank plumbing. Some idiot ran rubber fuel line from the tank, through the frame, up to the fuel pump!! Luckily the original steel line was still there, so I was able to blow it out and reuse it.
Reinstalled the new(er) dash from a GM Sprint. This dash doesn't have the usual vents on each end. The old dash, of unknown origin, had the vents, but there wasn't anything connected to them, nor was there any way to connect anything. Strange. Bought the Sprint dash at a swap meet a few years ago for $10.
The old dash harness was fairly complete, with only a few of those dreaded "twist-and-tape" old splices. Cleaned all of the connectors and soldered all the corrections/splices. I also added courtesy lights to assist the totally lacking dome light.
The outer heater box was rusted out and none were readily available so I glassed the holes, and POR-15'd the inner and outer boxes. I found the previous owner had cobbled the assembly together and apparently forgot the foam around the core inlet/outlet inside. So...he tried to put it in from the firewall side!
The firewall has about a bzillion holes from installs of God knows what equipment. I'll fix those when I pull the front end and engine next year.