Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Stu Cool's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Stu Cool's profile Entries: 84
Views: 150607
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (17): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17

03-09-2006 07:01 PM LS1 - '53 Stude Ceramic Coated Headers
I just can't say enough about the Sanderson Headers Folks and how great they have been to work with. I sent the modified headers to them last Friday afternoon, and here they are back to me the following Thursday, all nicely ceramic coated! And they only charged me $115 for the coating! Before that they provided me with a whole box of scrap tubing bends to use while modifying them for $20. Take a look at the results posted below. I think they are going to work great! I am a little concerned about the plug wire for the #3 cylinder, but I believe I can work that out ok, and with the ceramic coating the risk of burning the wire is reduced.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #34]

03-02-2006 07:16 PM LS1 '53 Stude - Header Mods Finished
Well, Scotty brought the finished driver side header by today. Check out how well it clears the steering box and engine block. The welds are all oxy-acetylene and very neatly done. He even sandblasted it nice and clean. Looks so good I'm tempted to bolt it on and go! LOL. So tomorrow I call Sanderson and make arrangements to send them back for ceramic coating. They told me they would do that knowing I was going to modify them.

I am very stoked as the exhaust has been one of the major challenges of this swap due to the unusual combination of the narrowed Nova subframe and the LS1 motor.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #33]

02-19-2006 07:40 PM 53 Stude - Motor installed - Final time
Well hopefully this is the last time the motor goes in and I can get busy putting everything together. You can see the painted frame mounts and installed crossmember in pics 1 and 2 and the whole thing sitting in place in pic 3. I even put the coils back on the valve covers to add to my feeling of accomplishment. This has been a great week with the crossmember done, headers fitted, gas tank installed and everything cleaned up, painted and the motor in place for the final time. Next steps will be routing hard fuel lines to the front, installing the front sheet metal and starting to fit the wire harness.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #32]

02-19-2006 07:28 PM 53 Stude Engine Bay Clean + Paint
Now that everything is fitted, it was time to pull the motor out and paint all the pieces. You can see where I used primer to mark the position of the frame mounts when I was positioning everything. That way I could pull it all back out and know where to drill my holes. (pic 1) It worked pretty well, everything fits so now it's time to make it pretty. You can also see the bare metal crossmember mounts in pic 2. And the finished and painted crossmeber in pic 3


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #31]

02-18-2006 09:34 PM 53 Stude - Driver side header fits!
We finally have a driver's side header that fits. I posted before that I bought a set of Sanderson 1.5" headers as a starting point. The passenger side fit fine, but the #1 pipe hit the steering box on the driver side. I knew they would have to be modified when I bought them, and we thought we would just have to move the one pipe. After several attempts and getting close after moving that pipe and giving it a pretty good dent, it still did not fit right. So my header fabricator Scott decided that the collector needed to move back a little bit to give some room. This meant modifying all the pipes. He brought his master piece back over this evening for a final check and it fits perfect! He took it back to finish up the internal welds and do some clean up, Picture 1 shows it in place. It looks a little crude right now, but after finishing up and ceramic coating, it will look and work great. Pic 2 is a close up looking down towards the moved collector. Once they are coated and installed I will put up more pictures.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #30]

Pages (17): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.