Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Stu Cool's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Stu Cool's profile Entries: 84
Views: 149450
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (17): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17

12-25-2005 06:20 PM 53 Stude/LS1 Engine fitting
After the first attempt at fitting the LS1 into the chassis I thought things were going pretty well. Then I started trying different exhaust combinations including several stock manifolds and a set of F-body Edelbrock shorty headers. I finally figured out that I needed to raise the the motor. I tried redrilling my motor mounts and bolting them to the frame mounts that had been fabricated to hold the 350. I finally got it in place but still was not happy with the way it sat and the exhaust sill had a major conflict with the steering box. I even took the hack saw to one of the moldings on the steering box and that helped give some room. The only way I could get anything close to fitting was to jack the motor up. So i decided to remove the fabricated frame mounts and get some stock Nova frame mounts which should put the motor higher.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #9]

12-24-2005 02:58 PM LS1/53 Stude Eng/Trans Assembly
Now putting the LS1 and 4L60E together to begin fitting in the car. I have installed a Yank Stealth 2800 stall torque converter. Here you can see the motor mount adapter plates acquired on EBay. They have the same configuration as plates from Street and Performance and others


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

12-24-2005 02:29 PM LS1/53 Stude Engine mods
I am leaving the engine pretty much stock with just a few modifications. Here you can see the LS6 Valve springs installed. To change the springs I just brought each cylinder up on TDC, removed the rocker arm and then used a lever type valve spring compressor to swap the springs out. I have also changed the PCV system to the LS6 style using the guide found at LS1howto.com (http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18) I used a fiber cut off tool on a die grinder to remove the unneeded boss in the valley. This moves the PCV pick-up point from the driver side valve cover to the center valley. This is supposed to reduce oil consumption and also eliminates some ugly plumbing on the motor. You can see the new LS6 Valley cover in the 2nd photo. The 3rd photo shows the modified oil pan done by Street and Performance. I will also be adding an LS6 intake manifold and drive by wire throttle. Those will be documented later.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

12-24-2005 01:50 PM LS1/ 53 Stude Narrowed subframe
The car has a 1968 Nova subframe that has been narrowed 3 inches by the original fabricator, Loren Roberts of Mankato Minnesota. These pictures show some of the narrowing and attachment points and welds. You can see how each component has been sectioned, the frame, drag link and anti-roll bar.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

12-24-2005 01:43 PM LS1/53 Stude Frame Clean up
Next step was to roll it outside and pressure wash everything to get it as clean as possible for the coming work. Also did some paint work on the frame, but will have to re do some of that after getting everything fitted.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

Pages (17): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.