The Trans crossmember had been welded in place and would need to be relocated for the new combination. You can also see evidence of my Turbo 350 leaking around the dipstick tube. Kinda messy under there. A sawsall and angle grinder made quick work of the crossmember.
Next step was to remove the old motor. I pulled the yoke off the drive shaft and put it in the transmission so it would not leak fluid, also got as much coolant as possible out of the motor before starting. I swapped out my custom valve covers to avoid damage and removed all the accessories and the Bill's Hot Rod brackets. These will no longer be needed so I will offer them for sale.
To make fitting the new combo eaiser, and to reduce chance of damage to my fenders I decided to remove the front sheet metal from the car. First step was removing the hood, then the bumper, grills, radiator and fans. Next came the fenders. The Studebaker inner fenders are integral to the outers so they come off togther. I pulled all the wiring for lights, fan relays etc and have it boxed up near the front of the car. As you can see these projects are easy when you have quality helpers
In November 2005 I started a project to swap motors in our Custom 1953 Studebaker Starlight Coupe. The car had a '76 Chevy 350/T350 combo and ran just fine, but I wanted something different and decided to move from a 50 year old car with a 30 year old motor to a 50 year old car with a 5 year old motor. The LS1 and 4L60E overdrive automatic are from a 2000 Pontiac TransAm that had 9000 miles on it. I acquired the motor from a local rodder who had planned to put it in a '67 Camaro but had a change of plans due to health reasons. I was able to buy everything he had that was LS1 related for $4700. That seems like a lot, but I got a lot and have already sold off a number of things I won't need. Here are pictures of the car and the 350 that was in it.