Well, since every project needs to have a start and an end, I am declaring my LS1 engine swap project complete. There will be more new projects, like rear suspension, air intake and fuel rail covers. Tha car will never be finished! I finally got rid of the leaks in the A/C system and it is blowing cold like it should, that's when I decided it was done. Here are some final pictures.
We are heading up to Hot August Nights in Reno this coming Thursday (8/3/06), if you are up there and see us, please say hi! Of course we are DRIVING the Studebaker up there.
Finally got the right belt from Street and Performance and got the Compressor in place. I also moved my intake to the other side to make more room around the compressor. Now I just need to get the hoses plumbed and get it charged. Hopefully then my wife will ride with me on hot days! LOL I also figured out my cruise control problem. It was a bad "Set" switch in my turn signal stalk/Cruise switch. Fortunately I had another one, got it installed and now it works just like it ought to.
Pics below of the compressor installed with the S&P mount. More bling than I really wanted, what can I say. Also shows the intake flipped to the other side.
Not a lot to report on. The car is running well, fun to drive and runs like a scalded dog. I have been working on a few bugs and finishing up some loose ends. My starter was running on after the motor started. I fixed that by putting a relay in the starter circuit, thanks to a tip from a fellow LS1er at LS1tech.com. I have not gotten my cruise control to work yet, still trouble shooting that with Speartech. I am waiting for the right length belt from Street and Performance to install my A/C, sure could have used it yesterday! I was hot, but the car was running a steady 180, which is great. I also have picked up a set of Traction Masters to control rear axle wrap. Hope to have them installed in the next couple weeks. Other than that I have just been joying driving the car, have about 500 miles on it now. Here is a picture from a car show this week in Lincoln, CA.
Took the car to the first show since the motor swap, second if you count a crusie night. At this one I was there with 9 other Studebakers, so was in good company! It was very well received, got a lot of comments and some great questions on how the conversion was done. I have not posted for a while so will bring things up to date. I have been working out a few bugs. With all the torque of the LS1 I am having some severe axle wrap. This is causing some vibration under acceleration. The real answer is figuring our some sort of traction bars, and probably updating the springs and bushings. But for an interim solution I have installed some 4 degree wedges btween the sping perch and spring to bring the pinion down. That way when it lifts under torque, it seems to stay in and acceptable position and it feels smooth. The car has great power and revs up to 6,000 easily then breaks the rear tires loose when shifting into second. I really like the Yank 2800 stall converter. You can really feel the power when you roll into the throttle at about 40 and you are most instantly at 75-80. I am still leak free, and after about 400 miles it seems to be getting 20+mpg, and that is with me getting on it fairly often. It is really hard to resist ;-). It also runs nice and cool, usually staying right at 180 and never going above 205 or so even in traffic on an 85 degree day. We'll see how it does when it gets to 100 in July. Things I am still working on include getting the cruise control to work with the electric throttle, waiting for a new compressor to set up the A/C and then just detailing everything out. Here's a pic of it parked with the other Studebakers at the show in Fair Oaks, CA