Now that she is running it was time to visit the muffler shop, as much fun as open headers are... Not too practical. I already had Flowmasters with 2 1/4 inch inlet and outlet and decent tail pipes. Just needed to connect them up to the headers and move one of the tail pipes away from the fuel tank. Here are shots from the front and back of the finished project. George at Superior radiator did a great job, he is the one who recored my radiator too. Now at idle it is nice and quiet, but has a nice roar when you get on it.
Friday April 14, 2006, The LS1 Studebaker sprung to life! Today I installed the plugs and wires, had to get a special sleeve to protect one wire. Then I put all the intake tubing together with the Mass Air Flow Sensor, K&N filter and Intake Air Temp sensor installed. I am not totally pleased with the intake and will probably make up something different, but it works for now. I tied up any loose wires and made sure everything was in place. Earlier I had fixed my fuel leak and hooked up the lines to the transmission cooler and installed a new transmission dipstick. Filled the radiator with water and the power steering reservoir with fluid. After checking everything twice, I went and got my wife to shoot some video. I crossed my fingers and held my breath and turned the key, on about the 3rd revolution she fired up! God what a beautiful sound! And what a relief, you just cannot imagine how good it feels to have it running. I had to add some transmission fluid, and then she backed out of the garage under her own power. Right now it is running with open headers so I have not driven it. All the gauges are working, it has good oil pressure and it is charging. temperature came up to 195 and the fan came on just as it is supposed to. I am posting pictures of the complete motor, will edit and add a link to the start up video soon.
Thanks for following my project, there is more to come. PM or email me if you have questions or comments
I took my radiator to our local shop to have the water necks resized to match the LS1, I figured that would be better than trying to come up with odball hoses. The bad news is, when the pressure tested the radiator before starting they found some ballooned tubes and some leaks. So now, $400 later. I have a new core to go with the new necks. We also designed and build a frame to mount the fan on instead of using the through the core mounts. After I had it installed I did some careful measuring and bent some coat hanger wire into the shape of hose I would need. Then went to the auto parts store, the "Real" parts store where they don't look at you funny when you come in asking for wierd stuff. Looked through their book and found some hoses, and luckily found two that will work just right. So now all of that is installed and the heater hoses are hooked up, so it is ready for some coolant! I also did a final install on my Sanderson headers using the Permatex Ultra Black High temp sealant. It's getting so close I want to work on it all the time!!! But, tomorrow is Monday and back to work I go.
Another very productive week-end. I finished installing all the sheet metal, the bumper and front air deflector went on, then today when family was visiting I had them help me with the hood. It's not all that heavy, just awkward. I need it on to check clearances. In addition to that I tested a lot of things. Turned the power back on and checked all the lights and horns. I do have one dim head light, might have crossed the high and low beam wires. The grounds checked good. Put 5 gallons of high test in the tank and turned the ignition on. The fuel pump fired up for two seconds as it should. I also played with the Electronic Throttle controll and it works like it is supposed to. I was able to get the fuel pump to run enough for a pressure check and did have one leak, may have been a bad flared union. Of course it was the one if the most difficult place to get to. I am tired of laying under this car! I replaced it and tried again and so far so good. I put oil in the engine, removed the plugs and spun it with the starter. So far everything seems to work. I am waiting on plug wires and a few A/C parts then I should be able to fire it up.