Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Stu Cool's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Stu Cool's profile Entries: 84
Views: 150823
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (17): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

04-03-2006 07:35 PM LS1 53 Stude - Thermostat Housing
There are always things that pop up as you put things together. The lastest thing for me was discovered once I put the front sheet metal back on the car. The LS1 thermostat housing and water neck was aimed right at the sheet metal channel for A/C hoses to go out to the condenser. See pic #1. I could either cut the sheet metal or get a different housing. I opted for the latter and found this straight neck housing from CSR. Pic #2. It actually provides a better angle for the radiator hose and the bonus is it uses a conventional small block Chevy thermostat instead of the integral thermostat the LS1 uses. This gives me more flexibility in changing operating heat ranges. It does provide more Bling but I guess that fits with the A/C mounts. I also picked up some Corvette Fuel Rail covers and put them on for a test fit. I have some plans to custimize those later. Also got some of my intake ducting mocked up in pic # 3.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #44]

04-02-2006 06:29 PM LS1 53 Stude - Tachometer and Dash
Here is a close up picture of the dash with the new Sun Super Mini tach. The second picture shows some of the wire harnesses I contructed. This trailer wiring lug connects the turn signal and high beam indicators.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #43]

04-02-2006 06:22 PM LS1 53 Stude- LS1 Harness install
This week-end was pretty much dedicated to wiring. It's pretty boring and tedious stuff actually, so I am glad to get it behind me. At the same time I was installing the LS1 Harness from Speartech, I also cleaned up a lot of the wiring, got rid of old wires no longer needed and tried to make things more efficient. My dash comes off with just two screws, but then there were lots of wires hanging on. I re-rigged it so now everything can be unplugged. I even used a trailer wire connector to make a harness for my turn signal and high beam indicators. The wiring harness from Speartech came very nicely loomed with everything well labled. If all I was doing was hooking that up it would have gone very quickly. I did have to design where everything would be located under the dash and then make sure there was no interference so it took a full day and then some. The first picture shows the engine computer, the throttle actuator control and the main harness mounted and routed up inside my driver side fender. A future project will be to design and construct a panel to protect it from road debris. Picture two shows the dash all apart with wiring in progress. It really is not as much of an electrician's nightmare as it first appears. Everything is now labled and zip tied together. The final picture shows the dash all back together, I am really pleased with the way the new tach came out installed in the dash.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #42]

03-26-2006 06:41 PM Ls1 53 Stude, Grills installed
Today I installed grills and reconnected all the lights and horns and did quite a bit of wiring. I also started installing the LS1 Harness. Spent some time on my back under the dash trying to figure out how I did something a year ago, I hate when "old timers" strikes! I still have a long "To Do" list but at least it looks like a Studebaker again!


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #41]

03-25-2006 09:50 PM LS1 53 Stude, fenders installed II
I also set the radiator in place to check clearance. I will be able to use my low profile fan from previous motor, but don't have room for the dual Firebird fan. Should not be a problem as the motor cooled well before. I also changed the clutch on my AC Compressor to a serpentine version. But.... I noticed when I went to install put it on the car, it is a 7 groove pully and and the rest of my serpentine set up is 6 groove! Darn darn darn! I will call the supplier on Monday to see if they will exchange it, they might not after I already installed the blasted thing. The belt that Street and Perfromance sent me is the wrong one as well, about 3 inches too short, so I will be calling them on Monday too! It's hard to get good help these days...


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #40]

Pages (17): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.