Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Molon Labe's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Molon Labe's profile Entries: 7
Views: 1166
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

02-19-2019 04:04 PM More Bodywork
Rust has now been addressed on the passenger's rear quarter, in the trunk and across the back of the car. Recently repaired driver's rear fender dogleg and front door. It was just a 3" x 4" patch but it warped the driver's door and as I tried to repair it it just kept getting worse and worked up into the top of the door. I finally just cut it out and welded in a large patch. Today I finished the doglegs in both front fenders. I think all the rust is gone. Now, I'll continue to strip the old paint and get it in epoxy.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

01-31-2019 07:11 PM Finishing the Rust Repair
The front suspension/brakes are done. Everything is new except the springs and I've added a 7/8" diameter sway bar. There wasn't too much rust in the body - especially for a car from the Northeast. I had to make a panel for the bottom of the passenger's rear fender that incorporated the panel that comes down from the trunk and the piece that connects the two at the bottom. Also, had to make up a new dogleg in front of the driver's rear wheel. Finally, patched the holes in the trunk.

The engine is a '94 351W roller from an F-250. It was out of the truck when I bought it and was told it was a very low mileage engine. After disassembling it I believe it was. It was super clean inside and the bores are like new. No ridge and everything measures well within spec.

I'll get the block out to the machine shop to be cleaned, magnafluxed and decked while I continue wrapping up the body work.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

01-26-2019 07:40 AM Progress
Well, it's been a year since I've updated this post and I've made some progress. The torque box is done, the new floors are all in, the rear end is rebuilt (including new Tork Loc)and more .

The driver's front frame rail looked fine but had rusted out from the inside. When I started poking with an ice pick I found it was extensive and it required replacing a good portion of the inside and bottom edges back to the firewall. I ended up cutting out part of the outside of the frame rail that was still good so I could get in and weld the repair pieces to the back of the shock tower.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

01-15-2018 06:11 AM Floors
I've finished building and installing the torque box. Now I'm working on the driver's side floors. I am still not able to find a source for the stamped passenger's toe board. The hand formed ones are available but not the stamped ones. If anyone knows of a source I'd appreciate the lead.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

12-04-2017 06:43 AM Torque Box
I've had no luck finding a driver's torque box so I'm making one. I'm using 12 ga. steel. it's not easy to cut and impossible to bend but it should be strong enough. Once this is finished I can go ahead and get the new floors installed.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

Pages (2): [1] 2