Photo # 1 - The next piece I need to do is the bottom panel of the overhead console. This panel will also house the stereo speakers. I cut the panel from 1/4" Masonite. I then cut a piece of ½" sew foam (on left in picture) to the exact same width as the Masonite panel. The length, however, has about ½" of extra material on each end. This is done to allow for any possible shrinkage the might occur when I sew "rolls and pleats" into the material.
Photo # 2 - I then cut a piece of fabric with about 1 ½" of excess on each boarder. I mark the center line on the fabric ("A") and then draw a parallel line 1/4" to the left of the center line ("B"). This will be my guideline for sewing the pleat. The left edge of my sewing machine pressure foot is 1/4" from the center of the needle and it is highly recommended that you use the edge of the foot as your guide for running a straight seam rather than trying to eyeball using the needle itself. Thus, all my guidelines will be 1/4" to the left of where I actually want the stitching.
I then draw my other pleat guidelines at 2" intervals from line "B" making an equal number of pleats to the left and right of the center line.
Photo # 3 - I then flip the fabric over and position my scrim foam on center, gluing it lightly to keep it in position for sewing.
Photo # 1 - Once the face plate has been trimmed to an exact fit I glue 1/8" foam to the face and cut out the hole for the CD player.
Photo # 2 - I then cut the fabric and glue it to the foam face, form it around the edges, and glue it to the back side as shown in this picture. I also cut the CD opening with slits from opposite corner to opposite corner creating four triangular flaps which are folding in around the edges and glued to the back side. You will note that the CD player has been inserted in the picture to insure it now fits properly with the fabric in place. This is VERY precise fit with just a tiny lip on the CD frame to hold it in place. Fortunately, I think I got it right and it seems to be plenty solid.
Photo # 3 - And a shot of the completed console face plate from the front side.
Photo # 1 - With the center console done, I move on to the overhead console. To make the face for the overhead console I made a template using the original face I had made some time ago and then cut and taped chipboard around the edges to create an exact fit to the surrounding foam panels. I then transferred that template to a piece of 3/4" pine and cut it out. I also cut out the area for the CD player.
Photo # 2 - This is a shot from the back side of the console face plate. I used my dado blade on the table saw to cut away 3/8" of material leaving a small lip at the bottom (on left) which will support the front edge of the console's bottom panel.
Photo # 1 - Once I am fairly certain the "ring" is going to fit properly I pull the ring back out and apply glue to the ring and the tray sides. I do the tray first and try to prevent any glue from getting on the top foam or the top fabric at this point.
Once the tray fabric is glued in place, I proceed to glue the rest of the top fabric down to the foam, wrapping the fabric around the edges of the top, cutting away any excess, and gluing to the under side. This is a shot after everything is glued in place. Also the wiring race has been upholstered and set in place.
Photo # 2 - Another shot of the console. Note that the bottom of the storage tray is still exposed. I will do that as a separate panel later.