Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: halfast's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View halfast's profile Entries: 22
Views: 21646
now viewing from the beginning || view most recent entries

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5

04-13-2004 09:58 AM Half-fast 68 firebird convertable
This project started as a re-creation of a coupla cars i had years ago, with updates and MORE POWER. I started with a marine 454 that ran backwards from a Bristol bay fish boat, rebuilt it with a new cam and stuff, some chrome and aluminum. Then found a roached out rusty hulk of a body for only $1200.00. ripped it to shreds,blasted it, and started cutting it up. Art Morrison built a prototype triangulated 4 link, one of two, For Wayne Due and I. this with a front clip from Wayne Due formed the basis for my super-car..........big Power .........big tires..........fast and great corner carving...........top down.........stereo UP.
Heres how we did it

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #22]

04-13-2004 10:08 AM chop/cut/rebuild
fitting the rear clip took a lot of painfull thought, when the body structure was cleared away there wasnt much left but rusty tin.
I built a rotavator,a really good thing! now the welding could begin........lotsa welding!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #21]

04-13-2004 10:19 AM New metal and floors
When the rear clip was structurally attached I took the body and fitted the Wayne Due clip together and made it roll.this allowed for chassis measurement/alignment issues to be adressed. i took the car to Streetworks in Auburn WA for the Floors and tubs. they did an excellent job. then back apart and on to the rotavator for more structure welding, subframe connectors,braces, andsuch

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #20]

04-13-2004 10:23 AM more floor and structure welding
the bottom took lotsa work

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #19]

04-13-2004 10:37 AM New Skin
Now that the chassis is ridged the rear panel and quarters were cut off and replaced.......gee bondo is fun after months of welding, its starting to look better. during this time ive been at the catalogs ordreing stuff($$$),re-chroming, and swap meet scrounging...........OOPS I bought 2 67 cameros..........the WIFE says fix that one so I can drive IT......whattyagonnado?
build a 350, put the firebirds muncie and stick stuff in it.order more stuff from the catalogs and spend $4500 on bodywork and a nice paint job. I call it my practice car Best move I ever made! SHE LOVES IT!!!! now when i continue on the firebird she is my best support for the wreched excesses that it needs.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #18]

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5