Well it finally happened, I fired the motor tonight. Headers only, loud loud loud!!! Pushed 70 pounds cold with the drill, 50 after 20 minutes at 2000. Great pressure! Didn't get to hear the cam at all because I won't fire it again until I change the oil. I have a couple odds and ends to do, but I rapped it a couple times during the break in and it sounded great! I'll do the other little stuff and take it out on the road next week.
Last weekend was a long one. Lots of hours of work put into the ride (first two pics) I pulled the 305 out for good and set it down on an old hollow door, bolted up the flexplate and fuel pump on the 388 as well as the heads and rockers and dumped it in the motor. I didn't get much further than that, I was beat.
This last weekend (4th of July) is the latest on my project. I've got everything hooked up for the most part. I found, unfortunately, that my alternator bracket will not work with the weiand stealth intake (as it did on the edelbrock) so I've got to get an alternator bracket. Autozone also couldn't figure out what kind of fitting goes into the fuel pump (tried to sell me a sawed off brake line... good god). SO I've got to wait till next weekend (or whenever i get the chance, car is 80 miles away) to hook up the alternator and fuel. After that she's good to go. I mistakenly primed the oil system (thinking I was goign to start it) but was happy to see a good 55-60 lbs with just the drill. Good oil pressure for a stock pump. (Last pic)
I wanted to make my 388 bulletproof, streetable but aggressive and generally a bad motor. I've erred on the side of conservative before, and was not happy. This time I decided to step in the other direction. Nothing outrageous, just a good weekend warrior setup. Here's what I chose:
Competition cams Magnum 280/280 advertised duration cam with .480 lift on both sides. Comps double roller timing set, Milodon gold reinforced steel 7qt pan (stock volume/pressure oil pump, HVHP take more power to drive and are unnecessary for the street). Harland sharp full roller rockers, 1 5/8 full tube headers with 3" exhaust, and dart iron eagle 2.05/1.60 200cc intake, 72cc chamber. With the mini domes on the slugs, the compression is high, in the upper 10's or low 11's. I see race gas in my future...
After a while I got tired of the 305 and decided to do the motor the right way. I started looking on EBAY for some good deals on motors. I knew I didn't want a cookie-cutter 350 like every car in the world has. I wanted something a little more unique. I also knew I wanted something that was still a small-block and had some cubes, so my options were a 383 or a 400 (or some other kind of stroker, but I figured those would be out of my price-range). After about a month of tracking motors on ebay I found a guy who was selling a freshly rebuilt and balanced 388 that was a four-bolt block and hyperu. slugs for a reasonable price... so I bid on it. I got the motor for 670 dollars plus shipping (ended up being about 800, but still a great price!). Its also a heavy casting, earlier block (68/69 I believe) so the .060 over is made possible.