Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: hduff's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View hduff's profile Entries: 95
Views: 12169
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (19): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

10-12-2018 04:04 PM Logan Lathe Progress
I've made a little progress on the new-to-me lathe.

I was able, after soaking the threads for several days in Kroil, to safely remove the 4-jaw chuck and was pleasantly surprised to find the #3AT collet adapter snugly in the headstock taper. That's good, because as a new part, it costs over $305. The only part of the collet set that is missing is a 1-1/2-inch x 8tpi nose cap (new at $89) that protects the external spindle threads and I was able to source a used part over the Internet for less than half that.

It might be nice to have a face plate and the associated dogs, but they are not inexpensive and I can wait until I have a task that actually needs them.

The 3/4-inch counter-shaft that sits between the electric motor and the lathe headstock has been severely abused over the years as it appears that nobody knew how to tighten setscrews. It's pretty gouged up and badly scored, but a new replacement from Logan is only $25.

The electric motor is a Dunlap (Sears, Roebuck and Co.), 1750 RPM, 1/3 HP, split-phase motor. I'l drop it off at the local electric motor shop to get it refreshed since the external wiring for the mains is in poor condition. Better to be safe.

The replacement headstock cover is the correct one, but I now lack the proper hinge pins and rubber bumpers for it, so I have ordered those.

I'll need to disassemble the headstock to clean it (all the bearings are fine) and will replace the 1/2-inch V-belt while it is apart. The one in use seems to have served its purpose well for 70 years, but it's time to retire it.

Once all that is fixed and re-assembled, I'll tackle the saddle, its attachments and the tailstock. They all need to be cleaned, polished and restored to accuracy. I do need new felt wipers on the saddle and confirmed today that the Logan parts book has an error and the felt wipers for my 9-inch lathe are available.

I will not be stripping and re-painting the lathe. Patina for these machines is a mark of honest work (and sometimes a little abuse and neglect). It does not need to be a museum piece to be capable of performing work for me.

One question I had was what specialty lubricants should be used on the lathe. I found the answer at http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=32114635 2222&category=104241&pm=1& ds=0&t=1537626946000&ver=0

And in case that does not work, here's the information. This is a 'kit' sold on eBay from a fellow who provides smaller quantities of the necessary oils as recommended for South Bend lathes. Not all of these may be appropriate for your make and model lathe; my Logan 400 has sealed bearings in the headstock, so no need for South Bend Lathe A type oil for me.

THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDED OILS IN the South Bend Lathe publication: How to Run a Lathe

South Bend Lathe A type oil, which is Mobile Velocite #10 spindle lubricant. This will be used in the headstock spindle bearings.

South Bend Lathe B type oil, which is Mobil DTE 24 (ISO 32), which will be used in your gearbox.

South Bend Lathe C type oil, which is Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium (ISO 68), which will be used to lubricate everything else. That would be screws, external gears, tailstock, etc.

South Bend Way Oil, which is Mobil Vactra #2 Way Oil, which will be used to lubricate the sliding Way surfaces of the lathe.

Please download the South Bend Lathe Bulletin 'Keep Your Lathe in Trim' at: http://bluechipmachineshop.com/bc_blog/?p=710

SOURCE: bluechipmachineshop.com

[Entry #95]

10-08-2018 12:59 PM Logan 400 Lathe
I purchased a Logan 400 lathe that came from an estate in a nearby town. I has a 9-inch swing with 18-inches between centers. While it uses the old-style lantern tool holder, it has a good assortment of bit holders, boring bar holders and a knurling tool and well as HSS blanks. An MT2 Jacobs chuck and an MT2 live center that fits the tailstock taper accompanied the lathe. Also included is the draw-in collet chuck attachment, with 20 collets, and is just missing the spindle cap, but it perfectly usable without it.

It certainly needs cleaning up, but the ways and bearings are in excellent shape for a machine built in 1949. The 70-yo rubber-coated lamp cord that wire up the motor has got to go. I have a modern on-off switch with an emergency shut-off tab and a nice reversing switch. I'll need to go through the selection of gears used for thread-cutting to see what I have and what I might need.

It was missing the cast iron cover for the headstock gears, but I was able to locate a replacement for the fiberglass cover the previous owner made. All in all, I'm very pleased with my new tool.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #94]

10-05-2018 10:37 AM Summer doldrums
Too hot over the summer to get any work done at the shop, plus I had many deferred honey-do's around the house.

[Entry #93]

10-05-2017 03:20 PM Bead Roller
I have been working on adding an electric motor to the bead roller.

The family business has been taking up the lion's share of my time, but to good effect because I have sold it. That gives me much more time to spend with the cars.

The bead-roller project stalled for want of matching sprockets.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #92]

05-08-2017 02:34 PM Clutter
The garage has been getting too cluttered, so I have re-arranged and thrown some stuff away. I can finally walk around without dodging and stepping over things. Here are some current pictures. It's actually less cluttered now.

[Entry #91]

Pages (19): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19