-- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise Project Journals: curtis73's Journal
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

View curtis73's profile Entries: 6
Views: 4445
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

10-08-2014 09:57 PM Found an LQ9 today
Serendipity, it seems. I was driving over to Bedford to meet some family for lunch and I found an 88k-mile LQ9 from an 04 Escalade at a yard near Altoona.

Snagged the engine, a couple accessories, ECM, and wiring harness. Score.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

10-07-2014 07:53 PM Pause on Bonneville... New project. 86 El Camino
I bought an 86 El Camino a few months ago. It runs and drives, but the (broken) odometer reads 164k. There is significant rocker/quarter rust but (shockingly) the frame is ridiculously clean with zero flakes.

Time for a 6.0L LS truck engine and T56. Then give it some road race suspension and some hot paint. I have this T56 sitting around from an S10 project I parted out. It had synchro trouble in 2nd and 5th so I took it to and treated it to a comprehensive upgrade. Then I got it home and went to work with 100-grit sandpaper, a scotchbrite disc, and a wire wheel. Then I primed and painted it graphite metallic.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

09-04-2011 11:24 PM 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
It took a while to get all the parts sorted out: The truck front spindles required some reworking to fit. I modified the lower control arms to use the press-in truck ball joint, and used an off-the-shelf race-type tubular control arm for the upper. I knew it was temporary but it at least got it together. The GVOD required much more banging and cutting than I had anticipated since my Pontiac was delivered with the medium-length tailshaft. In hindsight I should have just converted it to a short shaft and saved myself the headache.

Here she is on the way to get a new 2.5" dual exhaust and a PA state inspection along with a detail of the upper control arm.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

08-29-2011 10:17 PM 1998-1999: I get the "modification" bug
I had always hoped to use this boat as a light-medium tow rig. At the time I owned a 1995 F250 powerstroke and loved the 7.3L. My first thought was to drop in a 'stroke but the physical size would have meant valve covers, turbo, and intake all sticking out through the hood.

Instead I settled on a Caddy 500 that was built to pull like a diesel. It was a good build with ported heads, MT3 (tiny) cam and 8.7:1 compression. I had Jet build a sweet Qjet for it and had the TH400 rebuilt. I also ponied up the cash for a Gear Vendors OD.

Not able to leave well enough alone, I knew the Factory 8.2" rear with 2.93 gears wasn't going to cut it. I set out to snag a B-body 12-bolt, but have you seen how much people are getting for those??? Nuts. So I went to a truck junkyard and decided to settle for a truck 12-bolt onto which I could weld the brackets for the trailing arm bushings.

While at the 'yard, the guy kinda gave me a funny look and said, "hang on." He disappeared down through the yard with a forklift and returned with a 10.5" FF 14-bolt. He said, "measure that." Sure enough, the specs were spot on. The backing plates clear the frame by about 3/4" and with standard offset wheels the 235mm tires cleared the fenders by about 1/2"

Then the quest was to get 8-lugs up front as well. That was a long road, including modifying some 3/4 ton spindles and fabricating some upper control arms, but it made it. So now it has 8-lugs all around, and HD brakes and running gear. That also let me use off-the-shelf brake parts for a properly supplied system. My homework paid off - braking is excellent.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

08-29-2011 10:06 PM 1997 - Poor uses of a Budweiser can
The first thing I did was replace the fuel pump and got it running. It had been sitting for about a decade. After tires, oil change, and general tune-up it roared to life... literally, since the exhaust had fallen off.

Prior to replacing the fuel pump I almost reduced the whole thing to ashes. We just HAD to get it to fire so we poured some gas into a Budweiser can, then drizzled some into the throats of the Carter. Of course, we had already had about 10 of those cans to drink. Well, the inevitable happened; a backfire through the carb ignited the gas in the Bud can. My buddy wisely tossed the can leaving a trail of gasoline across the intake, over the radiator support, and out into the driveway. Take it from me: a good fire extinguisher is a garage necessity.

I couldn't ever get it to run well which I was able to attribute to low compression in one cylinder and poor valve sealing. I used that as an opportunity to have the shortblock remanufactured and slapped on a pair of milled 6X heads to get the compression in check. I also put on an Edelbrock 600 I had sitting around and some NOS M/T valve covers.

The day after I finished putting it all back in, I drove it 1800 miles from PA to FL and was rewarded with 18 mpg (thanks in part to the horrifically lean secondaries)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #2]

Pages (2): [1] 2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.