Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - journals index
Thread: journals index
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 07:47 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Wiki Edits: 2

Ah, but the search engine is the tool someone uses when they're looking for something specific. I'm thinking of those who are just 'browsing', visitors and members alike. It wouldn't be a single sentence summary.

My own journal, for instance, was going to just be about that '49 Olds but instead includes the Olds, a toolbox, cobbled-up compressor, a 4CV and a motorcycle trailer. All of that could be put on one line, certainly, and would be more useful to a browsing visitor than "grouch's journal -- yadayada entries -- yadayada views". Just listing the things included in wilys' journal might take several lines, but that's an exception that would only apply to mature journals. Would you guess, just by looking at the name, entries and views, that you can find model-making and custom intake casting in there?

I'm not down-playing the value of a search engine; I'm just pitching for a more descriptive listing of the journals on that showall page. Something closer to an overall table of contents that will cause someone to say, "hey, that looks interesting". After all, it's not the user names people are looking for, except possibly existing members checking out another member's journal.