Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - journals index
Thread: journals index
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 7314

OK, I think I see it more clearly now. A big, juicy page that briefly lists each journal and the basic contents of it. It would be an ideal journal entry point for a casual browser who wants to gulp down journal info.

Scalability is a concern. I see two problems. First, the showall page is already a bit large. What to do when it's got 1000 journals? Divide it up by pages -- 100 journals/page? That could be reasonable, but we'd need to make another decision around 5,000 journals.

Second, there has to be a viable way to distribute the task of reading every journal, and updating the journal summaries. There's going to be too many to do it centrally, where an "editor" reads journals and updates the summaries. The user would have to do it. How can we encourage the user to periodically update his journal? Maybe a reminder every time he reaches a certain number of entries? So, perhaps for every 10 entries made in the journal, the user gets a PM requesting a journal summary update? Recall also that we're looking at including "sub-journals", so we would need to integrate that concept into this as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.