k & n, air hog or amsoil? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 01:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: power tour
Wiki Edits: 6

k & n, air hog or amsoil?

Anyone use anything but k&n? Deciding what air filter to use on my 460. I use k&n on my newer fuel injected cars, but my panel will have a carb...not a huge deal as I will have around 500 HP, so a couple HP from a filter not a big deal. Mostly curious, since I've only used k&n.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Wiki Edits: 8

Why not stick with what you know works ?
Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications

For not many bucks you can buy a 14x5 air cleaner element that will pass more air then that $50 oil clogged K&N. Then every year you can replace it with a new one and still be time, effort and money ahead. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-97330/

As far as using a K&N on a FI engine - this can cause major performance problems if it causes MAF dirty wires.

(dang, why do folks fall prey to advertising gimmicks)

Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the link. I've often heard of the problems the oiled filters can cause, but I've never had even a hiccup using the K&N. I used one for 125K on my '88 5.0 Mustang and have had one on my 2001 Xterra for 200k out of the 250k miles on it. Perhaps it doesn't offer any real proven increase in performance but the longevity of the ones I use makes $en$e. I usually do stick with what works, but I would miss out if I didn't try new stuff...that's how I discovered K&N Just trying to learn from all the knowledgeable people on this site...surely someone has tried filters other than paper or K&N.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Wiki Edits: 0

K&N = $$$$$$$$$, there are other cheaper better alternatives. Do not fall for K&N's advertising hype.

Vince
Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
K&N = $$$$$$$$$, there are other cheaper better alternatives. Do not fall for K&N's advertising hype.

Vince
Took the words right out of my mouth errr---- away from my 2 typing fingers, Vince

Dave W
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
For not many bucks you can buy a 14x5 air cleaner element that will pass more air then that $50 oil clogged K&N. Then every year you can replace it with a new one and still be time, effort and money ahead. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-97330/

As far as using a K&N on a FI engine - this can cause major performance problems if it causes MAF dirty wires.

(dang, why do folks fall prey to advertising gimmicks)
You logic is only good for 3 years, actually just under 3 years. I have a 99 11 years old, looks like I have saved a bunch from here. Talk about (dang, why do folks fall prey to advertising gimmicks) you are the king, some quick math points that out.

Another little observation, if they are oiled as they should there is no problem with the MAF.

Lots of folks drive cars, not a lot are very good at. Pros out here running those old oil soaked filters, including myself, must have no clue.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
Talk about (dang, why do folks fall prey to advertising gimmicks) you are the king, some quick math points that out.
Not a freaking clue as to what you are saying. No idea as to why you are so interested in my life. If you are referring to some of my many screwups while building my car - if so, get real.

I'm all to well aware of my errors made on my car and what it has cost, but do take it in stride and actually tell folks what I did, have a chuckle or several, fix it and go on

I stand by my dislike of K&N. They cost too much initially, do not do a good job of filtering air until they collect some dirt (then, IMO, start to restrict air flow). Then there is the cost time wise of cleaning it every so often, the cost of the solvent then the cost of their ($5-$6 just for the oil or the $10 cleaning kit - ref: Summit)

Dave W
Old 10-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

I just use Wix filters.. my daily drivers, they might get changed once a year. usually I forget they have them until the MPG starts to tank, and I figure it should be replaced, and it usually does ( I kno this is bad, but my Daily drivers arn't that nice )... any filter is going to do the same thing.. so I could buy a $5 filter and replace every 6 months, or buy a $50 filter and replace never, but still need service interval, every 6 months + the cost of the maintinance supplies.... I go the cheap route because I don't keep vehicles long... but I'v also had to clean the oil filmed MAF's on K&N filtered engines
Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Guys, before this becomes a k&n debate, my simple question was about experiences with filters OTHER than...I already have my own experiences with k&n . The 250k miles I have is real...also, I've only cleaned the filter twice in 200k miles and my mpg is still the same as new. On my 460, there are NO sensors...the air will go directly to the carb. FYI, advertising wasn't why I tried k&n 20 yrs ago..it was the advice of some drag racing buddies. Ironically, that's why I'm here on this site, because I don't buy based on ads....you guys don't sell these products so your testamonials are more credible
Old 10-24-2010, 09:05 PM

I tried them all, use the cheap paper filter and change it often...
Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 PM

I use a K&N on my dirt racecar, and after a night the element is pretty nasty! But the inside of the carb is SPOTLESS. Ive had the same filter on the car for three years, and its holding up great! even ran it on a derby car once! I'm sold on them!

Although, I do have a spectre brand one on my street car, same results and same cleaning procedure. The spectre brand filter isnt the same quality though.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Not a freaking clue as to what you are saying. No idea as to why you are so interested in my life. If you are referring to some of my many screwups while building my car - if so, get real.

I'm all to well aware of my errors made on my car and what it has cost, but do take it in stride and actually tell folks what I did, have a chuckle or several, fix it and go on

I stand by my dislike of K&N. They cost too much initially, do not do a good job of filtering air until they collect some dirt (then, IMO, start to restrict air flow). Then there is the cost time wise of cleaning it every so often, the cost of the solvent then the cost of their ($5-$6 just for the oil or the $10 cleaning kit - ref: Summit)

Dave W
Take a pill it's real clear.

I am just talking about an air filter.

I am pointing out that 17.50 is not a good deal; changing a filter evey year; 3 years down the road.

As to the cost of cleaning more misinformation, for that 10 bucks you can clean the filter a number of times again saving 17.50. One more fact K&N absolutely keeps the dirt out, I have used the product in motorcycles and the cars I have owned.

BotaBing
BotaBoom

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in