Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Krylon rust tough rattle can (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/krylon-rust-tough-rattle-can-102802.html)

zuker60 11-19-2006 02:15 PM

Krylon rust tough rattle can

Hi everyone, first timer here. Wish I had seen this forum before I started working on my car. From what I have read rattle cans aren't held in very high regard. I just painted my underbody with Krylon rust tough and after reading some of the threads about rattle can paint I've gotten worried. Would I be able to paint over the Krylon with dplf 90 and should I do so? Also does anybody have any feedback on a product called Chassis Saver? Thanks in advance. Rick z

Rambo_The_Dog 11-19-2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zuker60
Hi everyone, first timer here. Wish I had seen this forum before I started working on my car. From what I have read rattle cans aren't held in very high regard. I just painted my underbody with Krylon rust tough and after reading some of the threads about rattle can paint I've gotten worried. Would I be able to paint over the Krylon with dplf 90 and should I do so? Also does anybody have any feedback on a product called Chassis Saver? Thanks in advance. Rick z

Rule #1

A paint job is only as good as what's underneath.

So spraying high dollar primer and paint over bomb-can primer is not a good idea. You might never have a problem or it could lift and craze on you.

You didn't mention anything about the type of car, type of build, etc...if you're just building a daily driver you could probably just rattle-can the color on the underside too...

If you spent the time and money to strip the underside to bare metal - then strip it again and use the good stuff all the way out to the paint!

zuker60 11-19-2006 09:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback, it's a 69 Mustang convertible and by no means is it going to be a show car. Probably a summer weekend driver so I'm don't think I will really be too fussy about the underbody. thanks Rick Z

Rambo_The_Dog 11-20-2006 01:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, it's a 69 Mustang convertible and by no means is it going to be a show car. Probably a summer weekend driver so I'm don't think I will really be too fussy about the underbody. thanks Rick Z

Are you dealing with surface rust issues?

Are you going with black or another color for a topcoat?

zuker60 11-20-2006 07:43 AM

There are surface rust issues and as for a top coat I'm not sure yet. They came from the factory with just primer. What would you suggest?

Rambo_The_Dog 11-20-2006 08:05 AM

Quote:

There are surface rust issues and as for a top coat I'm not sure yet. They came from the factory with just primer. What would you suggest?

I'm not sure how this stuff would react to the bomb-can primer but I would look at using Eastwoods Rust Encapsulating Primer. You can get standard colors like red oxide or satin black, or you can get colors to tint the primer to something close to the body color.

I like this stuff over POR15 for the color options, its thinnable up to 20% with good quality OTC laquer thinner, and it has UV protectants (not needed for underneath a car) and can be left as a topcoat rather than paint.

Eastwood also has some nice Chassis paint if you want to take it a step further.

If thats not enough you can brush this stuff on with reasonable results because it flows and dries pretty nicely.

This is the satin black, rust encapsulating primer, thinned 20% DTL16 and shot with a spray gun.

http://www.49c8.com/images/work/Hood/Current_3med.jpg

Look around under this link to Eastwood and you'll find what I'm talking about. Eastwood Rust Prevention

Post some pictures if you get a chance!

Good Luck!

zuker60 11-20-2006 06:53 PM

Thanks for your help Rambo, that looks like just what I'm looking for. RZ