Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Leaf spring
Thread: Leaf spring
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 01:29 PM
Curmudgeon at Large

Wiki Edits: 0

Leaf spring

I have a 1937 Pontiac Deluxe 6 4 dr sedan. It is eguipped with a mid 70's Camaro rear axle.
The axle is mounted on a 1 1/2" block above what I believe are Camaro leaf springs. The springs are mounted to the stock rear shackle, and I believe the front eye mount has been moved on the frame. With the weight on the wheels the rear shackle moves all the way back up to contact the frame rails. 70 psi in air shocks keeps it from constantly riding on the frame.
When I jack the car up to remove a tire, the axle drops 9-10 " and the rear shackle is then vertical.
My thought is these springs are too long and too weak.
How do I go about measuring for a replacement spring?
I can get the eye to eye distance with the rear shackle vertical and the approximate distance the down axle should sit in relation to a straight line between those measurements, as well as the axle center from that same straight line. I know the spring will need more arch than what I can get from these measurements.

I have sent this info request to Eaton Detroit springs, waiting for their reply. Their measurement form has you measure a spring removed from the vehicle.
I just heard from Eaton Detroit, they want me to disassemble a spring following their measurement chart. Not sure this will give me the correct spring.
I guess the question is, how much arch do you allow for movement to get the rear axle height correct?
Does anyone have a mid 70's Camaro? If you do could you measure the leaf spring distance eye to eye in a straight line, and also along the arch? Also how many leafs? Thanks.
I guess I need a rear axle weight for my car, and then find a similar weight rated car with a close spring size.
Probably time to head for the junkyard......

Last edited by Bob37pont; 04-09-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: More thoughts!