Leaking brake lines - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Get yourself one of these https://www.amazon.com/Female-Brake-...Q4W1389GZCSJ6N

Tighten each flate tightly into this fitting. It;s steel and won't deform like the brass female fittings do, centering you flare and making it seal better in the brass female fittings

On the speedway proportioning valve, throw those adapters as far as you can, and replace with weatherhead/eaton fittings. Been there, done that. NAPA does carry the Cupernickle line, but only in rolls. To be honest you can get it cheaper on Ebay.

I know your pain. I just went through this on a car using three quarts of fluid before it was sealed. On the bright side it took all the overspray off the floor

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 06:30 AM

I must have got lucky with mine, the steel line wasn't easy to double flare, but I tighten them 3 or 4 times, backing off a quarter turn then going a little further each time. When I replaced some with ni copp it practically sealed itself. I've found of all places, Auto Zone has a good supply of fittings but they are all in the back. Since your lines are bought with fittings, I'm guessing you have enough to cut and flare again yourself?

And yes, brake fluid makes excellent floor cleaner (on my epoxy floor anyway).
Old 06-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

I've never seen Nicopp at a parts store pre flared. steel and zinc coated yes.

Nicopp is about the easiest stuff to flare and even though I lost my good flaring tool ( Cal Van tools inline flaring tool ) I can make good enough leak free double flares with a Harbor Freight flaring kit. They crunch just a little with that flaring tool but leak free. Nicopp is all I use anymore.. If your getting a leak something is mis matched.

If you need a double flare Tee, a good parts store has them. If you want to reuse. Lot of cars use Tee's at the rear axle. The brake hose used is a 3/8" inverted flare type usually

Old 06-09-2019, 04:28 PM

From my experience something is very wrong! Brake lines are not hard to do. Get a flaring tool and do your own.

Brake line parts and fittings are hard to find at auto parts stores. I have found that the best way is to order on line. I have attached a catalog that I have ordered from and have had no problems. yes it can get expensive because you need a good assortment and usually more that you think you will need.
Make a sketch of the lines with all the fittings and then get more than you figured.
Some advise when flaring MAKE SURE TO BEVEL THE ENDS as the directions will tell you. Yes it is time consuming. I have used the new copper nickel lines and they work very well but very expensive.
I also ran fuel lines 5/16 and 3/8 using steel tubing with double flare fittings and have had no problems. Also you can use the double flare tool to bubble the end for attaching a hose. Just start the double flare and stop when the end is expanded.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009 catalog.pdf (1.92 MB, 13 views)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:38 AM

Iíve been getting brake fittings and line from In Line Tube off EBay. No problems so far.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in