Leaks inside my camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Leaks inside my camaro

I can’t figure out where my 79 camaro is leaking from , every time it rains I find a puddle in my passenger floor board

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2018, 07:54 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,137 Times in 2,632 Posts
These cars are often found to leak either at the top or bottom of the windshield glass, it either comes loose from the seal bead to glass or seal bead to body, or there are rust holes in the windshield frame. Common for ground up leaves, grass, dirt, pine needles, etc to build up under the windshield trim and hold water, causing it to rust out.

Fix is to have a glass shop remove the glass, fix any rust holes if present, and put the glass back in with a new sealing bead strip.

Forget about trying to caulk or silicone around the edge of the glass as an at-home fix, it never works.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,712 Times in 4,311 Posts
Yep, unless your windshield was pulled out, rust repaired and repainted a month ago, (in other words you KNOW it's rust free) it IS rusted at the windshield. They ALL rust there, I mean EVERY-SINGLE-ONE of them front and back glass. EVERY-SINGLE-GM product from early sixties through the late seventies rust there, EVERY-SINGLE-CAR, PERIOD.

Did I mention there my be rust in the window channel?

It can come from elsewhere of course, but the window and back channel ARE rusted. I remember doing a 68 Camaro with rust, windshield and back glass. I got them both cleaned up and repainted and the glass re-installed and there was still water on the passenger floorboards! It ended up being water coming down the antenna riding on the wire lead through a hole witout a rubber gromment to dripping off the wire onto the floor. LOL

I also had a 69 Nova that the trunk would get full of water off a broken gasket in a tail light! I would have never imagined so much water could make it's way through that tiny little gap in a gasket! But every drip of water that rolled down the trunk fell off it right onto the top of that tail light.

Now mind you, I am in sunny California, where I have had these cars with the original paint still on the frame, with the frame to body bolts still zinc coated and you can break them loose with a short 3/8 hand ratchet and those cars WILL have rust in the front and rear window channels.

I had a body shop for 13 years across the street from a glass shop where I got jobs on a regular basis, EVERY ONE ofthese cars window channel rust!

Another common place is from the heater box on the firewall. The seal from box to firewall, I have seen many leak there too. Cracks in the seam sealer on the firewall, yep, that too. However, NOTHING but NOTHING beats the amount of times I saw rust in the window channel, the others all added up don't even come close to rust in the window channels.

And the window MUST be pulled, you don't patch it up without pulling the glass and cleaning and sand blasting the channel and epoxy priming it. This is MOST EVERY TIME welding new channels in. At the very least a bunch of patches, removing the "nail head" like things that stick out of the side of the channel to hold the chrome moulding clips. Remove them and then use screw in clips.

I saw soooooooo many of these cars rusted in the channel, from super minor just started rusting to the complete gutter missing all the way around the glass! In all I saw I came to the conclusion that the failure occured when they painted the gutters at the factory and the "head" of that "nail" looking stud sticking out of the channel blocked the paint from hitting at the base of the "nail" like an umbrella shields you from getting hit with rain. The rust would always start at the base of that "nail" stud. That and the fact that the clips were metal and sliding them over the "nail" stud would scratch the paint leaving bare metal to rust!

Yeah, I have spent a little time doing that stuff. LOL

Thus that is the first place I would look.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
joe_padavano (12-09-2018)

Old 12-09-2018, 08:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep, unless your windshield was pulled out, rust repaired and repainted a month ago, (in other words you KNOW it's rust free) it IS rusted at the windshield. They ALL rust there, I mean EVERY-SINGLE-ONE of them front and back glass. EVERY-SINGLE-GM product from early sixties through the late seventies rust there, EVERY-SINGLE-CAR, PERIOD.
^^^THIS! Sellers will tell you that the seal is bad, but pull the stainless trim and you'll find the rust.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:45 PM

It don't stop in the '70s. even up into the '90s you'll find some rusted windshield channels.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

Paint mil thickness.

Paint specs in the factory said the entire surface had to have the correct amount of primer and top coat. also roofs that were going to have a vinyl roof installed. NONE of the OEM"S made the factory follow the Specs. I bought a 59 Galaxie from the Ford paint Chemist. He followed his new car thru the factory and it got undercoating everywhere inside the body shell, More paint and primer than Spec. It was very quiet inside. He put the heavy clear seat covers,
the guy I sold it to buffed it out, pulled the clear seat covers, got a bone yard spedo that showed 20 K miles (was 120 but in those days spedo's only went to 99999. New carpets brake pedal pad. and sold it as a low miles car.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Did I mention there my be rust in the window channel?

It can come from elsewhere of course, but the window and back channel ARE rusted. I remember doing a 68 Camaro with rust, windshield and back glass. I got them both cleaned up and repainted and the glass re-installed and there was still water on the passenger floorboards! It ended up being water coming down the antenna riding on the wire lead through a hole witout a rubber gromment to dripping off the wire onto the floor. LOL

I also had a 69 Nova that the trunk would get full of water off a broken gasket in a tail light! I would have never imagined so much water could make it's way through that tiny little gap in a gasket! But every drip of water that rolled down the trunk fell off it right onto the top of that tail light.

Now mind you, I am in sunny California, where I have had these cars with the original paint still on the frame, with the frame to body bolts still zinc coated and you can break them loose with a short 3/8 hand ratchet and those cars WILL have rust in the front and rear window channels.

I had a body shop for 13 years across the street from a glass shop where I got jobs on a regular basis, EVERY ONE ofthese cars window channel rust!

Another common place is from the heater box on the firewall. The seal from box to firewall, I have seen many leak there too. Cracks in the seam sealer on the firewall, yep, that too. However, NOTHING but NOTHING beats the amount of times I saw rust in the window channel, the others all added up don't even come close to rust in the window channels.

And the window MUST be pulled, you don't patch it up without pulling the glass and cleaning and sand blasting the channel and epoxy priming it. This is MOST EVERY TIME welding new channels in. At the very least a bunch of patches, removing the "nail head" like things that stick out of the side of the channel to hold the chrome moulding clips. Remove them and then use screw in clips.

I saw soooooooo many of these cars rusted in the channel, from super minor just started rusting to the complete gutter missing all the way around the glass! In all I saw I came to the conclusion that the failure occured when they painted the gutters at the factory and the "head" of that "nail" looking stud sticking out of the channel blocked the paint from hitting at the base of the "nail" like an umbrella shields you from getting hit with rain. The rust would always start at the base of that "nail" stud. That and the fact that the clips were metal and sliding them over the "nail" stud would scratch the paint leaving bare metal to rust!

Yeah, I have spent a little time doing that stuff. LOL

Thus that is the first place I would look.

Brian
The Mastercoat rust sealer will seal the rust and fill in the pinholes up to an eighth of an inch. Then prime and paint

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in