Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - LED tail lights stay partically lit
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Have you checked with a volt meter to see if there is any power to the socket.
I've been trying to troubleshoot this all morning. I get a reading of 15-16 millivolts on the 200m scale of my meter. It is in the brake/turn/flashers wire not the tail light wire. (I'm using an arm type brake switch, not a pressure switch). I also checked it at the turn signals and I'm getting a similar reading on the red/black wire coming in from the brake light switch (attaches at the hazard flasher and the turn signal) Interestingly, when I disconnect the wiring harness for the steering column wires and test the red/black wire coming into the harness from the brake switch I do NOT get a voltage reading at the harness or at the turn signal. But when I couple up the harness again, I get the 15-16 mvolts.

I also tested all the other incoming leads in the wiring harness and did find one with about 15-16 mvolts. This is the white/red wire from the hazard flasher. BTW, I'm getting those readings at the harness and the turn signals with the fuse pulled out for the hazard/stop light circuit. However, the fuse is still in for the turn signal circuit. I'm headed back out to the shop now (mmmmm, nice lunch) and will pull that fuse and see what happens.

As you can guess, I'm pretty confused at this point (which is inevitably the case whenever I deal with the electrical system).