"a little over" turns into $4500 over for paint job - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Tazz

Wiki Edits: 0

Last timne I got an estimate on paint I bought my own equiptment!!

Not that this guy isn't worth the $8500 because a Great paint job is expensive and you'll pay through the nose for it...but I can mess up a lot of paint jobs for that kind of money!! I don't do show cars but do want paint all over the body and can spray it on myself!! I thought that once an estimate was given all they could bump up the charge was by 25%...my mistake I guess!! There must be some law against that kind of doing business....should be if there isn't!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Vise jaws

70Dart. Nice car!!! I'll help you out here.

Once it is hosted to the internet you can open the picture up, right click on the picture with your mouse, click on the word "properties", when that window opens up hilite the "properties, right click "copy" and close the windows. Come back to a reply and click on the "IMG" tag above the reply window, right click and "Paste" then click OK. This will let your picture open up when you go back and see your reply.

Almost forgot. To get your picture under your name (avatar) you have to send the picture to Jon at this address mailto: [email protected] and it takes about a week.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin45; 12-31-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:15 PM

Dart!!

Hey I really like that she is slick and does it have a 340ci?

Old 01-01-2005, 09:21 AM

sure does she's all original and matches the build sheet except for the stripe which I don't think it hurts a thing since all the people think it looks great and "she" hasn't complained a bit . I bought her sept 72 , met my wife with her , raised 3 boys ,and I restored her in 03 . I also restored a fastback for the wife , here's a pic .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stang 1.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	3501  
Old 01-01-2005, 09:37 PM

Stang!

Oh yeah thats my first love Ford in general but that Stang is the SH**.....
Old 01-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Vise jaws

Hey 70...I see you are in Ohio. Which way from me? I'm in Urbana which is about 40 west of Columbus. We have quite a few from Ohio on this site. KillerFormula is trying to get a get-together for us Buckeyes and some surrounding states this summer over in Columbus. You can check it HERE

Kevin
Old 01-02-2005, 12:14 PM

meeting

the meeting sounds like a excellent idea and hope it works out and as spring gets closer I can give a better answer on whether I can attend . I would like to go if everthing works out .
Old 01-02-2005, 05:13 PM

The more I read this, this just sounds more and more it sounds like a crock of------!

First you say this is the best shop in town and we see a picture
of a car gutted with glass out and metal pieces off the car.
What quality shop is going to go that far for $4,000?
A lower quality shop yes but not the best guy around.

I have seen over the years quarrels over a $50-200 additional bill because of misunderstandings but never a $4000 bill.

If this guy did business like this he would have been out of business, long ago!

Somebody wasn't listening or only heard what they wanted to hear or just kept adding things to do without paying attention to cost! Whats $50 dollars here and $200 dollars here? (thats how credit cards get maxed out)

I just have to side with the shop.
Why don't you give him the site and let us hear his side of the story? He would probably have a fit, if he knew what was being said about him and I'm sure he would love to respond!

Last edited by BarryK; 01-02-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:16 PM

http://205.200.236.146/02/almost/before/2.jpg
http://205.200.236.146/02/almost/after/1.jpg
http://205.200.236.146/02/almost/after/6.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/mattkehler02/02/painted/car1.jpg

This may be a bit OT, but I'm thinking that until a person undertakes a task of this nature (full/partial restore, or digging into a body where you don't know whats underneath), that there is NO WAY you can have any idea the amount of work that goes into it.

I bought an old BMW that looked pretty good to me. I could tell that the rockers probably had a bit of bondo in there, and the wheel arches probably did too. I had never done body work before, but figured I would learn. The 1st year I had it, I pulled out the stock suspension and brakes and replaced it all with performance stuff. Took a LOT longer than I thought, and a lot more money than I budgeted.

Oh well, I figured I learned my lesson. So the 2nd year I yanked the 30year old 100hp 4cylinder, single carb engine and put in a inline 6cylinder from a newer BMW, full EFI, etc etc. Started at Christmas, figured to be done in May. I finally drove it in September.

3rd year I decided to 'quickly' replace one rocker. That turned into replacing most of the metal on the drivers side, including rebuilding the inner rocker and inner wheel wheel from scratch, building my own patches. Again...the 2 week project that started in February dragged into June.

Did I learn my lesson yet? Hell no!. 4th year..I figured that now since I knew what I was doing, I would 'quickly' do the passenger side. Bottom line, most of the metal on the passenger side got replaced, and I figured now that I was in that far, I would paint it. To make my life even harder, I decided on a color change (from beige to blue, haha!). The February-May project turned into February-July (I'm getting better

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but the bottom line is that I NEVER would have guessed it would take that long for the work that I did. Keep in mind I taught myself how to weld, bodywork, and I even painted it myself. I spent a LOT of time, and a ton of money on tools, but I take a lot of satisfaction knowing that I did it myself. Especially when car people ask me 'what shop did the restore'. The look on their face when i tell them i did it myself, it was my FIRST restore, and I learnt everything 'as I went' is priceless. Of course, its not going to win any shows, but that wasn't the expectation. I probably spent three grand or so (canadian) but that paid for materials, tools, etc. And even though its done, I still have a HVLP (bought used), a nice Makita buffer, tons of sandpaper, a little orbital for color sanding, etc etc. Next car will cost me 1/3 of the amount. I had a bodyman of 25years experience help me out here and there when I was stuck. He said that the work done would probably have been around $10k at the shop he works at. So I'm pretty happy!

Anyways..I have only restored one car, but it taught me a lot. Bottom line is that a PRO job takes a lot longer than the average person could ever imagine.

I'm not sure if this post even had a point, hahaha

Matt
Old 01-02-2005, 09:05 PM

Ok well I read the first couple and well forgive me on this if someone has said it already.. but...

Now, Yes He might have need more money to complete the Job... OK. But, if it is insurance claim.. It is the INSURANCES responcibility. I give out what are called supliments to them all the time, It is one of those things, you NEVER know the complete amount of damages till its all the way apart. Hell I had to replace a Door skin and a QP on a LIGHT fender hit, becuase they had be come friendly..(waves..) true this was a NEW mercedes, but just shows that what looks like a simple repair isnt allways the case. And all that was aloted on the estimate from the INS co was a R&R of the fender...

Look into haveing a supliment done...
Old 01-03-2005, 03:42 AM

wow

Bull i see your near or in california ( I5 )
i really think you got burned
im not sure what kind of work he did for $8-9k but i think that was alot
did he paint the firewall? did he use glazurit , sikkens

he charged you shop hours rate to put on window felts.
ive ran into big problems installing glass and i've spent a few hours removing rusted screws from window frames before. $$$
sometimes its just better to get things done piece by piece ,
once the car is painted then ask the guy what he'll charge to replace window felts and install glass.
i think he'll give you a straight out price instead of charging you by the hour.
he should of never done work to your car without consent. plus you should of got a written estimate of work sheet ,of all the work he did. $700 for stripes was high ,was that 15 hours of work.
im not sure why hes charging you hourly rate and then giving you a straight out price for the stripes,
if he would of ran into a problem with stripes would he have charged you extra also?plus they are white 1 quart of paint woww maybe $50 of materials he still had to clear over them,
i would understand if the car was already painted and you were wanting stripes ,but what's another 1/2 hour of masking the stripes.....
Old 01-04-2005, 01:22 AM

For those that have been following this thread take a look below ..

https://hotrodders.com/t53659-15-3.html

to me it seems more and more he got ripped on this job.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:08 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)

first off you pretty much should read this whole thread. i admit i asked for more stuff, like the stripes and glass purchase and install. later because my eye was operated on i elected to have him put the car all back together. something i had planned on doing to save money. I took the car apart like you saw it, not him. i should have asked about how much more all this crap was gonna cost. as for the clear coat wrinkle, it's just on one peice of the rear spoiler, not on the car body and can be wet sanded, buffed out, so it is no big deal. to answer another question, he did paint the area under the hood and deck lid, as well as removed both doors to paint them and the jambs. it looks great except for the one cc flaw and i found a tiny pin sized divot near a headlight. i dont know how that got there but it's there. i am gonna start a new thread on if it's even possible to get "the perfect paint job". i am beginning to wonder if i can find a flaw on even the national street rod champion.

my bieetch when i first posted was just the sheer sticker shock of it being so much more than the quote to paint the whole car, fixing 15 dents, bent top of a window, and install the glass, which was 4500 for the ins. company. i think since he knew what he was gonna have to do, at the very least, here, his bid should have been WAY F'ING HIGHER! the other body shop i took my car to gave the ins. co a bid of $6,500.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:09 PM

Re: wow

Quote:
Originally posted by hoss
Bull i see your near or in california ( I5 )
I believe he's in Wa. State.

Quote:
i really think you got burned
im not sure what kind of work he did for $8-9k but i think that was alot
did he paint the firewall? did he use glazurit , sikkens
You get what you pay for, he seems pleased with the work.

Quote:
he charged you shop hours rate to put on window felts.
ive ran into big problems installing glass and i've spent a few hours removing rusted screws from window frames before. $$$
sometimes its just better to get things done piece by piece ,
once the car is painted then ask the guy what he'll charge to replace window felts and install glass.
Maybe he ran into the same problems as you have in the past with rusted screws.$$$$

Quote:
i think he'll give you a straight out price instead of charging you by the hour.
he should of never done work to your car without consent. plus you should of got a written estimate of work sheet ,of all the work he did.
agreed, but in turn he did agree to "some extras".

Quote:
$700 for stripes was high ,was that 15 hours of work.
im not sure why hes charging you hourly rate and then giving you a straight out price for the stripes,
if he would of ran into a problem with stripes would he have charged you extra also?plus they are white 1 quart of paint woww maybe $50 of materials he still had to clear over them,
i would understand if the car was already painted and you were wanting stripes ,but what's another 1/2 hour of masking the stripes.....
WOW, half hour for stripes??? The last set of stripes I did took about 10 hours to mask to perfection, perfectly symetrical. half hour is not feasable.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 AM

10 hours for stripes
come on the paint jobs boyds and chip foose do have stripes
they dont take ten hours to tape up ,were talking about minor stripes here ,check this paint job out . one of my buddies did all the stipes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0308lrm_theoutlaw07_z.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	3555  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in