Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Maaco vs. At-Home Paint Job
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 08:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Okay, this post is a little old, but since I caught you asked a question... You shouldn't have to worry as much about fading with the basecoat clearcoat because there is no pigment in the clear to fade out. The clear could lose some gloss overtime, but the higher line paint I would guess should last 10 or more years. I've done most of my painting in shops and school and the cars go out the door and don't see them again (Thats might be a good sign). What I have painted at home I haven't owned for that many years or it was a side job and I don't see it anymore. The engine probably wore out before the paint. Dupont and PPG make good products and I think R-M, sikkens and other respected brands should be just as good. Stick with a brand name thats been around for years and it should last, with the higher lines lasting the longest. I would think if you asked that question to some of the rodders on the board, some more then likely still have a car that was painted 10 years ago and you can ask them if the shine is just as good. Dupont Chromabase and PPG Deltron systems have been around since basecoat/clear came out, and is still around today. Talk to some of the guys and see what paint they used on that rod that was restored over 10 years ago that they still own today.