Make my exhaust quiet!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Make my exhaust quiet!!

Hey guys so I got pulled over by the cops yesterday (just a matter of time) for my exhaust noise. It is a 1980 camaro z28 with a 383 stroker full-length headers to dual 2.5" pipes to 2 flowmaster 40 series at the back and thats it. They told me it is way to loud for the street and I have 10 days to get it muffled down or else I get a nice $650 fine. I must agree at higher RPM's it does put out quite the resonance but at idle and lower RPM's it isn't all that loud. My question is how could I quiet it down some more. I just had the exhaust put on and it cost me over a grand with parts and labour. There are no cats or resonators (if thats the correct spelling) just the 2 mufflers. Would adding a resonator to each pipe before the mufflers help out a lot?? What about adding another muffler in each side about half way down the car, would this quiet me down some more?? Any advice here is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Music and Hot Rods

Take two nice balls of steel wool, stuff them in the tailpipes and hold them in with a little wire through a couple of tiny holes. Have the vehicle inspected. Then, when ya get home just pull the steel wool out. Old trick I learned back in the early 70s with about 10 fix-it tickets.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM

I did the steel wool on a motorcycle once and actually liked the quieted down sound much better but even with retainers the steel wool would fly out at times when I revved it so I used stainless drain covers over the pipes (it worked on the bike)

Old 03-01-2009, 03:48 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Wiki Edits: 8

Do you have an X or H pipe?

Shane
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Install turn downs with a slightly smaller diameter. I did the same thing to mine when I got tired of the drone. It quieted it down considerably. If you don`t have a H or X pipe have one installed also.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM

Well, I would personally find a friend that owns a automotive repair shop of any kind and get them to 'write an invoice' for some artificial work showing you added 'new resonators' and show it to the judge. I can't stand gov't infringing on my personal freedom. Cops should out looking for 'real' criminals not out patrolling for taxes. A 383 with 40 series flows might be loud but come on.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:46 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYnNC
Cops should out looking for 'real' criminals not out patrolling for taxes. .
You mean like the ones that try to skate around the issue at hand by producing fraudulent paperwork to a judge? Yeah, that's intelligent. What happens if decide to measure the sound level from the car and find out it's no quieter than before? The car owner and/or the shop owner could get hefty fines. Or worse...

sexypizzaman,
I agree that it's a shame you got pulled over because of your exhaust. Can you review the laws for the area you were pulled over in and find out what acceptable noise levels are? After that get your hands on a decibel meter and measure it as prescribed by the law. If you come in under you could probably go in show that your car meets noise requirements.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Im not sure how it is there but in california you can go to the state referee and have it measured. It will at least give you a baseline of how much you have to go. I went to school at the referee and I have seen the steel wool trick work. The guy even pulled it out after the test and the referee just said you'll be back.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:35 PM

well if i were you id ditch the flowmasters get a set of cheap cats and turbo mufflers and fix it. once they give u one ticket they will find other reasons to pull you over. they could have ticketed you for not having cats on your car..even if u live in a state where u dont have emission test your car should have them on there. get an old set and clean them out then put on, then a set of turbo mufflers. i think flowmasters are nothing more then heavy gauge steel with no packing just steel baffles welded in diferent spots to help deaden the noise but not muffle it..u know who called the cops on u... probably was the local airport complaining bout the noise u can get a set of full flow cats on ebay for like 40 .00 each i think. thats what i put on my S10
Old 03-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You mean like the ones that try to skate around the issue at hand by producing fraudulent paperwork to a judge? Yeah, that's intelligent
Worked for me!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 PM

i have rip off flowmasters on my el camino. it sounded great; but too loud. got the tail pipes the rest of the way back and now its too quiet. they are three feet long lol. set off a car alarm at work leaving for the shop that day.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:05 PM

wow that sucks last summer i had a '85 s-10 blazer with a small block 350 that i ran just open headers and never got stoped for that the only things i got stoped for was a smoke show in the walmart parking lot and bad tags!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:15 PM

I don't have an H or Y pipe, this is a true dual set-up. I am not gonna ditch my flowmasters because they cost me $400 and are still brand new. I would much rather install another muffler before the flowmasters or 2 resonators or anything that would quiet it down a bit. I don't think cats would do the job, I could be wrong. Is it a possibility to install 2 dynomax resonators before the flowmasters, would this lower the sound out of the pipes? It would be pretty easy to add 2 resonators to the set-up and if it works then that is all I need. Any advice welcome.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Install two resonators as long as you can find, I'll bet you will like the sound better anyway.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 PM

I have never used vortex cones myself but they look like they would be promising, especially with a new exhaust just installed. Not sure what kind of power loss would come with them, if any. http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynatech/750014/10002/-1

Anyone ever use them?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in