In the market for an easy to install speedometer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

In the market for an easy to install speedometer

The speedometer on on my 47 Ford doesn't work and I want to keep track of the odometer of my new engine as well as speed. I'm looking for something that more or less matches the classic look of my gauges but it's not too overpriced and is easy to install. I'm leaning towards a GPS unit due to what appears to be a very hassle free easy installation, however I don't know about reliability on those. Has anyone had any good experience with a GPS speedometer? Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement

Last edited by 47 Ford Coupe Delux; 11-09-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,801 Times in 2,098 Posts
Must be at least as good as your computer, right? I mean, it never fracks, right. HAHAHAHAHA
Old 11-09-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Must be at least as good as your computer, right? I mean, it never fracks, right. HAHAHAHAHA

....uh, ok.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:25 PM

Speedo

On my last three swaps I've used electronic units. Not much more $$ than a mech. unit and can be spot on with the push of a button. No cable and in some cases requires a pulse generator to feed the speedo if you don't have a trans with pulse output. Last GPS I saw required an antenna on the dash to pick up a signal.
The Following User Says Thank You to 39 master For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 master View Post
On my last three swaps I've used electronic units. Not much more $$ than a mech. unit and can be spot on with the push of a button. No cable and in some cases requires a pulse generator to feed the speedo if you don't have a trans with pulse output. Last GPS I saw required an antenna on the dash to pick up a signal.

This is the kind of useful reply I was looking for. Thank you 39 master.

I don't think my old TH350 is going to have a pulse output so I'll probably need this pulse generator.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:42 AM
Curmudgeon at Large

My speedo is off ~10%. I've been researching gear changes in the TH350. Found the calculator for the driven gear, Speedometer Calibration Program - Method 1
Can the driven gear be changed without changing the drive gear, or are they matched sets?
Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 AM

Speedo

Quick search and pulse gens as low as $26. I would run the numbers: electronic vs GPS. Both would be happy if you decide to upgrade to overdrive too. I like the idea of not having a speedo cable running into the car and trying to hook it up.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM

I have used both electronic pulse types and GPS. The GPS work very well but you need to make sure you put the antenna in a good location (under too much metal causes issues. Speedhut makes some that you can customize the look of and they are reasonable. I have seen many of these and they are smooth and work well. The pulse generators fit where the speedo cable would go and are easy to hook up and calibrate. My current car has a pulse generator for a Dakota Digital analog dash.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Precision Guesswork!

I don't have any experience with the GPS or Electronic speedometers, but if you decide on mechanical, here's another link to calculate your speedometer gears for your application. This is the one I use and is a good one.
Gear Ratio Calculator
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket29 For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (12-02-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:44 AM

The GPS antenna usually wants to be near the windshield so its most likely going to be on your dash. I'd look online for some creative installations and see what people have done. It might not bother you. There are also converters to use an Auto Meter electric speedo as GPS.

Classic Instruments also has nice looking gauges for era-specific cars. Not sure they cover the mid-40s though.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob37pont View Post
My speedo is off ~10%. I've been researching gear changes in the TH350. Found the calculator for the driven gear, Speedometer Calibration Program - Method 1
Can the driven gear be changed without changing the drive gear, or are they matched sets?
This is a multi-part answer to be technically correct. While there are a range of driven gears for the TH350 (say 17-22 teeth), you may find that your SPECIFIC requirement doesn't work given your drive gear and the available driven gears. In this case, you might be able to get close enough without changing the drive.
You still have to know WHICH drive gear you have, your rear axle ratio and the height of your rear tire. Speedometer Gear Calculator and Charts - TCIŽ Auto
If your speedo is only off 5-7mph, thats acceptable given the nature of the 1950s technology we are playing with.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 PM

At this point I don't think a mechanical unit is practical for me as I don't even know my rear gear ratio and I don't want to have to deal cables and gears etc. From what I've seen the GPS unit is definitely the easiest one to install but all the ones I've seen are in the $400+ and that's out of my budget. So I'm going to go with a electronic unit although I still don't know how they work as far as installation goes. I doubt my old TH350 trans is going to work with it though.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:36 AM

GPS 120 MPH speedo on Speedhut right now is $207.
https://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338...dometer-120mph
Old 12-04-2018, 12:11 PM

I currently run a Speed Hut GPS speedometer in my '32 Ford. Love it, of course its very accurate and will allow you to time 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Plus you can customize the face to make it match (closely) to the other gauges. The antenna looks like a satellite type. I mounted mine in the headliner close to the windshield and have had no problems. Everett.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morrison For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (12-07-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 PM

I put the GPS antenna for my 41 Plymouth on the package tray. The rear window has enough slope that it works pretty well. It usually takes it a mile or so to connect up if you pull straight out of the garage.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockable For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (12-07-2018)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in