Maximum total timing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Maximum total timing

So I have been pondering this a while, what is the best way to determine maximum total timing? i've read you just keep turning it up until it pings then back it off a little.. I have a sbc 350 that has had timing marks verified with dead stop method and have had it as high as 40 (before the 10 degrees of vacuum advance) and ive never heard or felt a ping, I currently run it at 34 and its great but I feel it is currently no better or worse then it was when it was at 36-38. I want to spray 100-150 nitrous and Im not sure the best number to back the timing off of

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Footbraker

I would go to the dragstrip (without the N2O) and add timing until the mph quits going up then back it down 1-2 deg from the best mph setting.
Never played with nitrous but am told you want to remove 2 degrees of advance for each 50hp shot.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

can't speak to nitrous (never ran it) but first and foremost as i was taught (minus nitrous philosophy), you run timing based upon what your engine likes at base or as a good friend once advised me, you run base time based upon a vacuum reading. from there you plot your timing curves (Ie dizzy springs and/or weights depending upon dizzy) and derive/reconcile upon your total timing. an sbc would be fine from 33-36 all in, so that could be why you've not noticed much difference by ear or even feel without hard core slip numbers for experimentation purposes. Know what power range your cam makes when it comes to timing too. In all honesty, who gives a crap if you're all in at 3000 if your cam does not even make power until say about 4000 rpm (yes that'd be a race set up but i was just making a point on time). 33 is a good number but it'd not hurt to bump it a few degrees and you'd gain hp on an NA motor (again, not speaking to nitrous but just throwing some of this out there).

Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

To answer the question. The very best way is on a dyno. The next best is timed runs. If that's not available then 36 on a wedge type chamber. Set it and forget it.

The seat of the pants isn't a very good way of determining nor does by hear. By the time you feel it or hear it the power is already way way down.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnsongrass1 For This Useful Post:
AutoMech (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 08:04 AM

Cool thanks guys, basically what I had thought. Gonna have to get to the track for some timed runs or arrange some dyno time, I think I know where it wants it but thought I'd ask.. I'm aware of the 2 degrees per 50 rule on the spray and I won't be spraying a big shot nor very often for that matter.. I've already experimented with initial and know where it likes that and my curve is all in by 2500.. if I wasn't hitting it with the gas this wouldn't be a problem.. truth be told I already put a hole in a cylinder wall this spring and got it sleeved and back together with better pistons, I just really don't want to do that again and still not that sure why it happened the first time..

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in