Mercury Grand Marquis donor car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mercury Grand Marquis donor car

Greetings folks, been a while since I've been active... I'm in my 40's and my hobby experience over the last decade has slowed down with family life leading to home improvement and the fact I just don't have a garage at home, which I may finally be resolving this year. But I have kids age 12 and 13, and I'm thinking about the not-too-distant future when they reach driving age.

So I have a 2000 Grand Marquis that I inherited from my grandfather who has passed, and which I've kept as a backup car. Used it way more than intended over the last few months after an accident totaled my truck, then a month after getting a new replacement truck another accident put that one in the body shop for a month. Come to find out, in spite of fairly low mileage (75,000) the GM has some issues popping up (had to replace windshield wipers, speedometer quit..)

Anyway, thinking about the kids, my daughter is a bit of an Elvira fan. So I got to thinking, what if I found a decent '58-60 T-bird body and used the Grand Marquis mechanicals to give her something attractive and the idea being I involve the kids in the project. I've been talking about having the GM go to my son, none of the kids really like it...

Anyway, I've always been much more focused on '55 Ford/Mercury, I was wondering if anyone had opinions or experience whether the '58 T-bird/grand marquis combo would work well or even better if there's any similar projects out there with pics.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 12:57 PM

The Grand Marquis & Crown Victoria platform has a wide front track and works well in 50's Ford trucks check out these videos https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...uspension+swap This forum would probably know best about the swap you have in mind. https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/gal...l-4v-swap.html

Last edited by JeffB28; 03-03-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:41 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

Its not a TBird build, but there are also at least two very comprehensive build threads on the internet about using the Crown Vic chassis and a mid sixties Ford pickup truck body.

If you compare specs, the Crown Vic and the mid sixties pickup have a very similar wheelbase (114.7" vs. 115"), while the Tbird has about 2.5" shorter wheelbase. That may be the big challenge if you want to use the entire frame, suspension, steering, etc.

Bruce

Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 AM

I've seen the truck swaps, but this being something I'm considering for my daughter to get her into cars by way of her interest in Elvira, the second gen T-bird part of the project is pretty key to the plan. I am pretty heavily leaning towards hardtop rather than looking to pay the premium for the more desirable convertible, and I don't need this to be a simple matter of bolting a body onto a rolling frame.

If I recall I found the T-bird wheelbase is 113". I'll figure something out, it will be interesting.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Use T-Bird frame, remove front crossmember, bolt aluminum front cradle from GM, complete with suspension, engine, etc, in it's place. Install rear end ***'y from GM, and driveshaft. Rock an Roll. YMMV
As to the width difference between early Tbird, and late GM, I dunno.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:17 PM

I think that's kind of why I brought the question here... My world has all been '55-6 FoMoCo and I only generally know enough about second generation T-bird to know it's unibody, so I knew it might not even take the full body frame easily.

For that matter I don't know the t-bird weak spots, or maybe I can land a decent body and drop a 390 in that I have already. If I did that, maybe I'd do a frame swap with a truck for my son.

All brainstorming for now.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in