Metalshaping/Panel Relacement '34 Chrysler fender - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Wiki Edits: 0

Metalshaping/Panel Relacement '34 Chrysler fender

Hello fellow hotrodders,

There seems to be a growing interest in panel replacement and metalshaping in general. I worked on a '34 Chrysler front fender Saturday and thought I might post the results, along with a bit of a tutorial on how I make and install panels.
The first picture is how the fender looked when I received it. Due to possible light collision, rust and botched previous repairs, it was time for some new material.

The owner happens to have an original car identical to this one, which is being street rodded. This area of the fender has to be perfect, as the fender irons and frame horns sandwich the fender. Both front fenders were bad, so we were forced to use the original cars fenders as the patterns. The owner removed the front bumper and made me a plaster of paris mold off the original fender. I then use 1/4" hot roll rod, bent to conform closely to the surface of the mold. I then use a heavy paste furniture wax to insure that the buck will release upon completion.
Once I have the rods placed where I want them, I use 1/4" nuts to hold it off the surface of the mold. (The same can be done off the inside of an original part) I use fiberglass reinforced bondo to cover the rods and to achieve the true surface by making sure the filler has good surface contact where I need it. The voids left between the rods are to see how the metal sits on the buck. The area where you see the regular bondo is in an area that I thought may need to be hammerformed, but as it turns out, that was not necessary.

I failed to get a picture of the new panel resting on the buck, but here it is tack into place. I use a MIG welder to tack the two together. Note that this is butt welded, not lapped!

I then go in and weld a continuous bead between each spot weld, in 1" increments. If it looks like the panel is getting out of control due to warpage, I'll grind down the proud weld and crush it with a hammer and dolly. This will stretch the metal that has been shrunk from the welding process. You do not want to work outside of the heat affected zone, This is the blued area around the weld bead. Anything beyond the heat affected zone is not in need of further work. As the metal is stretched in the HAZ, it will relax and the distortion will disappear.

Once I have the welding done, I use a 1/16" disc in a cut-off saw to remove the proud weld, leaving it just above the surface by a few thousandths. I then crush the welds, relieving the shrinkage from the heat of the welding process. This also cold forges the weld seam, making for a stronger joint. If done properly, it will be as one piece of metal with no trace of being welded.
Once I'm satisfied with the results from the hammer and dolly treatment, I will further planish the panel using a slapper and dolly. The slapper has a much larger contact point, yielding a smoother, straighter finish. Any high areas of weld can now be taken care of and if it feels and looks straight, the shrinking disc can be run over the panel to further smooth out any slight imperfections. The slapper and shrinking disc are both in this shot. The slapper is one I made from an old car leaf spring, and the shrinking disc is a 9" diameter piece of 18ga. stainlees steel sheet with a 1/4" flange. It runs on a 6,000 rpm grinder and produces plenty of heat to controllably shrink sheet metal. The shrinking disc is available from John Kelly at [email protected]

And, here's another shot of the near completed panel. I have yet to roll in the wire edge, but the bulk of the work is complete. This is one tough panel to shape. There isn't a straight part of it and much of it is what we refer to as reverse curves.

This is another of my projects nearing completion. In '63, Chevrolet produced 57 of their Z11 Impalas which featured aluminum fenders, hood and bumpers. The owner of one of these rare cars is missing the aluminum parts. I'm fortunate enough to get to work on such a piece of automotive and racing history!!

Here is a follow up post the this tutorial on how I make a pattern to do the opposite side panel. If our moderator would like to move this, have at it! May make it easier. If you want, willy's36, you can add 'part 2' to it. Part 3 will be coming soon.

https://www.hotrodders.com/t39441.html

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com

Advertisement

Last edited by Randy Ferguson; 07-25-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 09:26 PM

Some people talk about how good they are but others are just plain artists!
Its a lost art!

Last edited by BarryK; 05-10-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:33 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots

this belongs in Advanced Hotrodding.

Beautiful work Randy!

Old 05-13-2004, 04:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Wiki Edits: 21

A true artist at work!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:20 AM

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current

that's one of the greatest posts I've read in a long time, thanks Randy!

the blonde weasel
san diego, CA
Old 05-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment

lol, Hey larry, this is the advanced hotrodding forum. lol.

Good looking work Randy, If you ever need a job, let me know.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 05-18-2004, 05:04 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup

Good looking work with a great instructional dialogue and pictorial. No one seldom addresses the lost art of hammer welding any more and I never thought I would see it addressed in conjunction with wire welding. 30 years ago, I reconstructed my 36 Ford PU bed that looked like something many tons of rock had been dumped into over and over, coupled with some bullet hole, lots of welding and even some axe work on 3 of the external stake pockets. I used coat hangers and Oxy/acetelene welder patching and joining metal using the same procedures you described excet for the shrinking wheel, which is new to me. I would start with a built in gap in the metal and always was amazed to watch it grow together (shrink). Also, watching the heat warpage disappear with hammer and dolly was intriguing.. That same bed is still on my 36 PU today and I can not locate the damaged areas!!

Trees
Old 05-18-2004, 05:52 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)

well what happened to the pictures?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Hi Bullheimer,
I see the pictures just fine. Are you still having problems?? Anyone else having problems opening the pics??

Thanks for the compliments folks!!

Randy

Last edited by Randy Ferguson; 05-27-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:23 PM

Truly a talented individual, Randy this is definetely the most interesting and admirable posting I have seen in a long time
As for the z11 owner he is fortunate to get a craftsman like you
Incidentally just how much time did it take to make that z11 fender??? Its mind boggling to me! I still think you were kidnapped at an early age and forced to work at some exotic far away place were all they did was shape metal!
j/k

sleeve
Old 05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Hi Sleeve,
I didn't keep track of my time on the Z11 fender. We agreed on a price and I just went with it. It was more for experience than profit, and let me tell you, it's been quite an experience!! It's not fully completed yet, but I hope to have it done by June 10th.
I've written a tutorial similar to this one on the Z11 project on the metalmeet website. You may have to register to see it.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/viewt...luminum+fender

Thanks for the interest.

Randy
Old 05-27-2004, 06:39 PM

well congrats to ya Randy 1 If you can tackle that fender job for the experience you deserve credit for not just getting the experience but for providing a service that just isn,t seen anymore.
If you ever want to relocate in Florida where there is no snow or salt on the road let me know...!! lol
Old 05-31-2004, 11:37 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

WOW

randy all i can say is i wished i had 1/2 your talent & that i lived closer just show i could watch ya do stuff like that.. ...joe

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in