Mind blowing measuring system. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2017, 10:50 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

another thing, with CarOliner, if you have a problem with finding specs it will be uploaded that day. If there's some kind of user trouble a rep is there that day or the next. Really think this measuring system is gonna replace CarOliner? Not any time soon. Still waiting for Martin to explain his claim on how you don't have to measure the base. How does that work, Martin? I'm not trying to start an argument, just giving honest opinions on things, and as I said, I like the idea of just a box and arm.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,885 Times in 4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
another thing, with CarOliner, if you have a problem with finding specs it will be uploaded that day. If there's some kind of user trouble a rep is there that day or the next. Really think this measuring system is gonna replace CarOliner? Not any time soon. Still waiting for Martin to explain his claim on how you don't have to measure the base. How does that work, Martin? I'm not trying to start an argument, just giving honest opinions on things, and as I said, I like the idea of just a box and arm.
If I didn't explain it well, sorry. What I said was while measuring the base, it knew where I was after the first point! Pretty damn cool!

You hit ONE point and when you moved the pointer to within an inch of the next one it let you know that was the correct point, pretty amazing.

I don't know about any replacing Car-o-liner or any of that, all I am saying is this one is pretty amazing. I like the Car-o-liner a lot too, I haven't used one in years so I don't know what it has gone in technology like everything else I imagine it's an awesome tool. The thing is it's not really popular, the Chief blows it away in popularity, most techs just don't "get it." We had one and when some new techs came in they were so frustrated and clueless on how to use that super simple machine, management sold it and got the Chief.

Brian
Old 12-23-2017, 04:19 PM

Let me further explain, the "base" is anywhere you check that isn't damaged! You don't measure your regular base the Car-o-liner or a Chief does, the four "torque boxes" under the car at each corner of the passenger compartment. You can measure those of course, but with this machine the "base" is all over the car, hood or door hinge points, sub frame mounts and so on. So you are measuring under the back of the car, you measure the sub frame bolts for the base, then go on and it knows where everything is.

Let's say you want to lower the car on the rack and then check upper dimensions:

You put four stickers that it prints out on the rear body panel of the body. You measure those adding them to the info you had on the base measurement under the car.

Lower the car and then remeasure those stickers, wham, you have a new base that knows the one you did underneath and it knows all the points on the upper body relating to the lower body!

Is that wild or what!

Brian

Old 12-23-2017, 04:43 PM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
If I didn't explain it well, sorry. What I said was while measuring the base, it knew where I was after the first point! Pretty damn cool!

You hit ONE point and when you moved the pointer to within an inch of the next one it let you know that was the correct point, pretty amazing.

I don't know about any replacing Car-o-liner or any of that, all I am saying is this one is pretty amazing. I like the Car-o-liner a lot too, I haven't used one in years so I don't know what it has gone in technology like everything else I imagine it's an awesome tool. The thing is it's not really popular, the Chief blows it away in popularity, most techs just don't "get it." We had one and when some new techs came in they were so frustrated and clueless on how to use that super simple machine, management sold it and got the Chief.

Brian
the Chief is better for trucks but the laser thru the target thing is old technology. Maybe that has changed. At Honda we have 6 CarOliner roll around racks and one Chief. Everyone knew how to use each one and I actually have a certificate for basic Chief training. The Chief is basically a parts rack until a van or truck needs to be pulled.

Basically what you're saying is that at your second point in making a base it knows where you are going to put the pointer. That's nothing different than CarOliner. You can do that without selecting that point as long as your target is unlocked, and sure it knows what point you are using but if you look at the live numbers it is STILL not sure where the car is cause the numbers will be off. When you make your 3rd or 4th target it will then know and the numbers will look right. 5 is even better and recommended. I'm pretty sure CarOliner will one day have an arm like that without the ladder and banjo. That would be awesome.

However, you still said it doesn't need 4-5 targets to know where it's at...basically saying you only need 1 point to create a base. I'm trying to figure out how that's even possible. The two post lift at work is so off I have to shim two arms on one side. So taking one point is gonna tell you exactly where it's at? Them glasses disperse fairy dust on the target or something?

In other words, you target one point and it knows roughly where the second is after you point and select the first, you unlock the target and it will know what second target you pick as you do it, but it still doesn't know exactly how level the car is or anything like that. That's what a base is for. What you said sounds impossible. Maybe you just worded it wrong.

Last edited by tech69; 12-23-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:06 PM

Henry, I have explained it and you are putting more into it, it knows where that point is, sorry that's all I can tell you. It doesn't have the full base at that point so no it doesn't know to precision where the point is sorry I didn't explain that so you could understand, I simple said it "knows where the point is" because well, it knows where the point is. LOL

Brian
Old 12-23-2017, 05:21 PM
put up or shut up

got it. that's nothing unusual or special though. that's standard stuff. what makes it special is not having to drag out the ladder, the stand for the ladder or rack, and banjo out of the rolling cart. If this thing ever gains any attention or traction in the states CarOliner will quickly design one like this and hog all the attention from it cause everyone already has the data contracts and reps that are stones throw away for updates. Personally, I think this idea is amazing, but think you missed the point of WHAT makes is special. We both can agree it's certainly NOT the glasses. Merry Christmas to you, Martin.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in