Mini Gun air comsuption?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Keen learner.

Wiki Edits: 0

Mini Gun air comsuption?!

Hi all, I am a dyi guy doing a restoration work at home.
I have a tiny 13 gallon compressor (7scfm) and understandably struggling to spray a panel with out the compressor running out of breath on me lol . I cant get a bigger compressor at the moment due to space and noise issues sadly.

So my question is if i get a decent mini gun say like sri pro lite or sata minijet 4400 with 1.2 or 1.4 tip, will i be able to finish a panel successfully? How effective are they air consumption wise?

Is there are down side using a mini gun for a spraying a whole car, that is
panel by panel.

I appreciate any help or guidance you guys can give me.
Brook.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Not sure if a mini gun would help all that much. Lack of consistent air is difficult to work around for consistent paint work. Air pressure can affect how the color lays on the panels so painting different panels on different days under different conditions at different pressures can create some color variance depending on the colors used. Little compressors tend to work really hard to keep up so you end up with heated air that's loaded with moisture, also a big problem with paint materials.

Last edited by Hipster_G; 07-08-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 AM

The mini gun might use less air per pass but will require more passes to complete. I doubt that it would do anything but add another level of headache (narrow spray pattern).

You'd be better off spending the money on a larger compressor. If you are willing to consider a mini Sata spray gun, you can almost certainly use that money to pay off the majority of a larger compressor.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
Yeah, I have tried doing large panels with something like that and the passes had to be crazy fast adding MANY passes over what a regular gun would have done. I am talking going back and forth with such speed it would look like on video it was sped up 3 or 4 times! I am talking a friggin WORK OUT kinda job. And on top of that you have to keep it wet so it doesn't have dry spots, it's a serious skill demand kinda process.

Now, that all being said, getting that gun isn't going to be throwing money away or anything like that. If you are working with this stuff you WILL find a use for that little gun even if you had three other guns and an 80 gallon compressor with 15 cfm. So you aren't throwing away money getting that gun. Get it, get a test panel and see what you can do with it. Sometimes we have to live with something, at the very least you learn something and have a gun you can use later for when you shoot your steering wheel or firewall to rad support braces or something.

Brian
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Keen learner.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Ok a mini gun will take more passes per panel because of the smaller fan hmmm ...how about the volume of paint being sprayed? compared to a big gun with same fluid tip size?

If i upgrade my compressor it will be maximum to a 1-1.5hp 26 gallon compressor. i doubt it will help me complete a large size hood without stopping. OR will it?!

I am a noob so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Brook.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:11 AM

For space considerations, how about a turbine. And they make no more noise than a vacuum cleaner.
At about 8PSI, and some outlandish CFM through a 3/4" hose they work real well.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in