Minimum CFM required. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Minimum CFM required.

I am unhappy with my current air compressor and am looking around for a “bargain“ on one that can be re-built or repaired as long as the compressor is in good condition. I have an 80 gal tank that is in decent shape and motors of varying hp laying around the shop that I have gathered up but am looking for opinions on desired CFM to work standard shop air tools. Currently the compressor that I have will not even handle my impact wrench for any continuous use so I have put off buying air tools.

So, in my quest, understanding more is better, what should my minimum CFM output be regardless of how good a bargain I find?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Just for reference.. One of these bad boys is what is needed..

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-6...sor-93274.html

Now check on facebook market place. Offer up, or cragslist to see if one comes around. The deal with a good compressor is that it will last so long you will forget what you paid. Plus the satisfaction of plugging in an air tool and it works..

Sam
Captn_Jim (04-03-2018), Rip VW (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Jim View Post
Currently the compressor that I have will not even handle my impact wrench for any continuous use so I have put off buying air tools.
cheap air tools use a lot of air, most any compressor over 5 cfm should keep up to an impact wrench

Old 04-13-2018, 06:17 PM

I used the Northern Tool North Star 2-Stage, 3 Cylinder Pump on my 80 gal tank 14.9 cfm at 90psi. You'll need a 5hp electric motor. Really a quiet pump as opposed to others. Fills the tank in fairly quickly. 175max psi. $399 with Free Shipping or you can have it delivered to the store if you have one nearby. Great reviews.

This pump has handled everything I've thrown at it. Grinders, Needle Scalers, DA's, even my various paint guns. Haven't tried any big sand blasters on it, but doe fine with the soda blaster. I've had it going on three years with no problems. Think there is a extended warranty available also though it comes with a 12 month parts and labor warranty.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Jim View Post
I am unhappy with my current air compressor and am looking around for a “bargain“ on one that can be re-built or repaired as long as the compressor is in good condition. I have an 80 gal tank that is in decent shape and motors of varying hp laying around the shop that I have gathered up but am looking for opinions on desired CFM to work standard shop air tools. Currently the compressor that I have will not even handle my impact wrench for any continuous use so I have put off buying air tools.

So, in my quest, understanding more is better, what should my minimum CFM output be regardless of how good a bargain I find?
What rated HP / CFM are you starting from?

Years ago, 1 1/2 HP home use air compressors got deceptively rated as high as 7 1/2 HP... so you may not already have what you think you have... have to go by SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute)... If a compressor has a 120 volt plug, it's no more than 2 HP, no matter what the label says...

A good true 2 HP air compressor like a Quincy puts out 9 SCFM at 40 psi and 7 SCFM at 90 psi... so that's what I compare others to...

When at a true 5 HP, can also get into compressors rated at 175 psi... and they need 220 volts, often hard wired...

Most lowest priced home use "5 HP" compressors are actually more like a true 3.0 - 3.5 HP... 220 volt plug in... overheat if used continuously...
Old 04-14-2018, 12:35 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

that should be against the law. 2.5hp rated 120v circular saw with a 16 gauge cord.... no
a 2hp 120v motor will run at 24 amps, starting amps is probably 34 amps or more
check out this amperage table for motors

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in