Mirror trick - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Be American, Buy American!

Wiki Edits: 0

Mirror trick

This may be something that should be in the knowledge base. it is from section G DRIVE Friday October 10 in the San Antonio Express News. It should be accessible by clicking on MySA.com, keyword: Drive

I will try to copy it verbatim and do not want to be caught plagiarizing, hence all the introduction. The column is by Tom & Ray Magliozzi:
This mirror trick will put an end to blind spots
Dear Tom and Ray: About six months ago, you talked about adjusting the outside rearview mirrors by placing the driver's head against the driver's window, then leaning toward the center of the car to adjust the the passenger-side mirror. I tried this, and indeed it took a while to get used to the new "vision." However, I am sold on this adjustment.
It is so much easier to get onto freeways, as I can see cars in the lane I want to merge into without turning my head (although I still give a quick scan just to make sure ). This advice should should be part of all driver's training in the United States, and I would encourage you to print it several times a year. Thanks for the great advice.
___ Lane
Ray: Well, it might get old several times a year, Lane. But we'll try to slip it in as often as our editors let us get away with. Here's the column you're talking about:
Tom: We've discovered that it's possible to set your mirrors (rearview and both sideviews) so that they eliminate almost any possible blind spots.
Ray: For years we've been setting our sideview mirrors so they give us a view of the back corner of our car. This is the way it's been passed down from grandfather to father to us. But we've finally discovered something very interesting: The back corner of the car never moves. It always stays in the exact same place. So there's really no reason to keep an eye on it.
Tom: So by moving the side mirrors farther out, you can line up all three of your mirrors so they have minimal overlap -- and you can see everything behind you and beside you.
Ray: Here's how to do it. Start by setting your rearview mirror as you normally would. Then lean your head all the way to the left,so it touches the driver's window. From that position, set your left sideview mirror so you can see the back corner of your car. Then lean the same distance the other way, and set your right sideview mirror the same way. Now, here's what happens.
Tom: When a car comes up behind you, you should first see it in the the center of your rearview mirror. But as it passes you (lets say on your left), you'll see it move to the left side of your rearview mirror. And as it disappears from your rearview mirror, it should instantly show up in your leftside mirror. There should be no delay. It should slip from one to the other, so you can always see it.
Ray: If you're having trouble visualizing this, we've posted a diagram and instructions on our web site, the car talk section of www.cars.com.
Tom: After you make the initial, rough settings, you might need to make some slight adjustments to your side mirrors to make everything line up perfectly. pulling up next to a line of parked cars (to simulate another lane of traffic next to you) is a good way t do that.
Ray: Driving with the mirrors this way takes some getting used to. You have to learn to rely on you rearview mirror first. And you'll have to get used to what your sideview mirror are now looking at.
Tom: But once you get used to it, you'll find that if there's no one in your rearview mirror, no one in your sideview mirror and no one immediately next to you, you can confidently change lanes without worrying about a blind spot.
Ray: Just don't do what my brother did. He was so intrigued by how well his three mirrors were working that he forgot to look forward, and he almost drove into the back of a manure truck.

Al

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Be American, Buy American!

Question

?????????? No comments, Wow! I tried it and it makes a big difference. It's strange when you look in your sideview mirror and don't see what you normally see. The range of vision is much wider. I am still not use to it but I'm trying toget past that point.

Al
Old 10-15-2003, 04:11 PM

Its sounds like a pretty good plan...but I'd need a "mirror mearicle" to get rid of my blind spots

Old 10-15-2003, 08:36 PM

Good idea , Al. I'm going to try it when I leave for work.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was incapacitated for the last three days, from all that Canadian Thanksgiving turkey. Actually I think it says "Wild Turkey" on the bottle.

kitkar

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in