A MUST HAVE cheapie spray gun for using upside down. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, now that is nice and you have my interest piqued; I'm going to order one to experiment with; I will be doing the cab of my 84 this winter and I'm going to have the same challenges that you have.

I missed that the gun had a sideways feed; didn't notice that in the first pics for some reason; I just responded to the 'upside down' painting part but I can see the benefits now.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Gary

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggevaert For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-13-2018), streetperf (08-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2018, 01:04 PM

Great tip. Thanks. I used mine over the weekend to spray some SPI Epoxy and it did a great job. Those W-71 guns are all over Amazon. Got mine for $14. Stay away from the one I bought though. It had a red coating on it. It kind of looks anodized but it's far from that. I disassembled to clean when I receive and found the red coating is also inside the gun. It looks like they dip the gun in the coating before assembly. Also found some sort of thread sealant on the most of the removable components. Kind of like a pipe dope.

I dipped the parts and the bare gun in lacquer thinner and was gently brushing it with a nylon brush and the coating started coming off. An hour later and I had most of it off. I read one review that said they got red specks in their finish. Now I know why?

I saw non coated ones in the $40 range, but cheaped out because I have so much goddamn money into this project. Regardless it worked like a champ underneath the car.

Mine came with a little adapter to attach a hose to the gun and use a remote paint cup like what Martinsr did. I'm thinking a small wooden cradle with two rare earth magnets attached and I can hang the cup on the side of the car. Slide a hose right over the nipple on the cup and I'm in business. Perfect for those of us without a lift...

One last note on this type of gun. After the fact I found the ANEST IWATA W-101 all over eBay in the $50-60 range. Pretty much the same thing as my W-71 but the quality seems much better plus they come with a choice of different tips when you order. Definitely want to check this one out if considering this type of gun. I know I am once the wife forgets how much I have spent recently
The Following User Says Thank You to bing98 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 02:58 PM

If only you could elimiate the cup you could get into tighter spaces too.
Let's see, if you had a remote location for the cup and the paint could feed the gun through a hose that might work.
I think you might have to plug the vent and pressurize the cup too, that would force the paint from the cup down the hose to the small gun head. Oh hey, being that it's pressurized you could spry upside down, right side up the gun won't know any difference. I think that might work.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:00 PM

We could the remote cup a pot. Then call the whole thing a pressure pot .....
Old 10-28-2018, 03:07 PM

And why buy it? you could remove the cup from your old gun a basically connect the cup to the gun with a hose. I've actually done this two different way using gravity AND pressurized. All you got to do is find some hoe's.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,972 Times in 4,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the painter View Post
And why buy it? you could remove the cup from your old gun a basically connect the cup to the gun with a hose. I've actually done this two different way using gravity AND pressurized. All you got to do is find some hoe's.
I would humbly suggest you read the thread before you reply to it Mike.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
mike the painter (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 AM

Good advice as always John, my point is It's nothing new it's been around for years it's called a pressure pot. In fact deadbodyman posted that gravity gun with the hose quite a few years ago. It could very well have been an original thought from our friend Brian but it sounded to me like he's taking credit for someone else's idea and I wouldn't have realized it if I didn't go back and breeze over everything from post 2 and on. So thanks for that it was wrong for me to assume that just turning the gun upside down was all there was. BRian, if that was truly your own thought then fantastic glad to see your thinking out of the box. If not shame on you, I've seen many out of the box ideas from deadbodyman posted this is one I remember and tried myself a long time ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike the painter For This Useful Post:
tech69 (11-02-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,797 Times in 4,344 Posts
OMG you have got to be kidding, "taking credit" please Mike, don't go there with stuff like that on this forum, it's the wrong place for it.

I don't "take credit" for much. If I do it's a mistake, and I own up to it. I certainly don't mean to do it, I SCREAM FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS giving credit to the those who teach me so you are barking up the wrong tree.

Simple point is, this is the easiest gun I have ever seen to do this, that is basically all I was doing, certainly not thinking I created the pressure pot for goodness sakes.

Geeeez

Brian
Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
OMG you have got to be kidding, "taking credit" please Mike, don't go there with stuff like that on this forum, it's the wrong place for it.

I don't "take credit" for much. If I do it's a mistake, and I own up to it. I certainly don't mean to do it, I SCREAM FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS giving credit to the those who teach me so you are barking up the wrong tree.

Simple point is, this is the easiest gun I have ever seen to do this, that is basically all I was doing, certainly not thinking I created the pressure pot for goodness sakes.

Geeeez

Brian
Not what I said at at all go ahead and read it again I never said you claim to have invented the pressure pot or the gravity fed version what I said was if it was an original idea great but I saw it before on this very site a couple years ago and tried it. The way you posted it made it sound like it was your idea, who's to say only you know if it was or not. Many times we think of stuff that has already been done. I was just pointing this out. Because I've never thought of the gravity version but after reading DBM post a few years ago I made it and it worked well. I've also told people about but always said "I saw this on Hotrodders.com" I would hope it was a simple oversight on your part because that would be wrong and I don't believe your that kind of man after reading your posts for the last ten years. Also Like john said I didn't read enough only about the first three posts when I first posted. Just as it says in the intro there are MANY pro's on this site they WILL call you out on something that's wrong. It's my duty to say something if it's wrong no matter who is saying it. So even though it has already been posted it could still be an original idea of yours but if it's something you read by DBM a few years ago then it's wrong morally. BTW, Where the heck has he been?
Old 10-30-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Not what I said at at all go ahead and read it again I never said you claim to have invented the pressure pot or the gravity fed version what I said was if it was an original idea great but I saw it before on this very site a couple years ago and tried it. The way you posted it made it sound like it was your idea, who's to say only you know if it was or not. Many times we think of stuff that has already been done. I was just pointing this out. Because I've never thought of the gravity version but after reading DBM post a few years ago I made it and it worked well. I've also told people about but always said "I saw this on Hotrodders.com" I would hope it was a simple oversight on your part because that would be wrong and I don't believe your that kind of man after reading your posts for the last ten years. Also Like john said I didn't read enough only about the first three posts when I first posted. Just as it says in the intro there are MANY pro's on this site they WILL call you out on something that's wrong. It's my duty to say something if it's wrong no matter who is saying it. So even though it has already been posted it could still be an original idea of yours but if it's something you read by DBM a few years ago then it's wrong morally. BTW, Where the heck has he been?
Wow, I am fascinated by this, wow. I'll be sure I do a search before I post something. And if what I am going to post has EVER been said in anyway shape or form I won't post it for fear of "taking credit."

I better go through and edit all my "Basics of Basics" because God knows those aren't my ideas so I don't want anyone to think I am "taking credit" for how to remove a rusty bolt or make a template or something.

Wild, wow.

Brian
Old 10-30-2018, 02:53 PM

Ok, I did a search and couldn't find anything from DBM but I did find a thread cboy posted that is similar. https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/con...un-153594.html

But it's a siphon gun, so we are different there, is that different enough for me to post or should I have posted this thread and left it at that without any new ideas? I am thinking the home made cup would be enough? Because it's a cheap gun you can buy right now, is that enough to allow me to post it?

I need to get my posting skills down here because I am messing up.

Brian
Old 11-02-2018, 01:44 AM

Geese Brian, being a little sensitive arnt we? I'm open minded enough to see your point but you can't see mine I never accused you as I stated only you know.
As far as your basics of basics goes, let's never underestimate the value of a good copy and paster. Worth far more than actual experience by professionals that don't write so well. We need good writers. No sense dragging this on I said my piece its over.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike the painter For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 PM

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, thanks so much for the laugh, and for the compliment. You don't mean to compliment me but someone thinking that I copy and past my "Basics of Basics" because somehow being able to write something so well is beyond a normal bodymans English skills is a compliment, thanks so much. Especially when I did so poorly in school, that really is saying a lot, thanks so much.

Brian
Old 11-02-2018, 07:51 PM

Mike, after my last post I was chuckling all day, no kidding, thanks. I was chuckling because I have had a few people accuse me of "googling" my info and "copy and pasting" and that sort of thing. I even had a guy from a forum call me once acting like he needed info and asked me about a procedure on a hot rodding subject and I thought it was odd. I then realized he asked me this to see if I could give the answer out of my head because he thought I was "googling" the stuff I post! LOLOLOL, no really, LOLOLOLOL!

Nope, since one week, literally one week out of high school June 1977 I went to my first full time job as a body man. Yep, I BARELY got my diploma, that's the funny part, wasn't very good at English, or any other class!

This photo was taken August 1st 1977, a little over a month after I graduated. My second enamel complete, my third complete paint job. First being in lacquer, my 65 Nova SS. Then my brothers Model A pickup (that I chopped the top on) and then this one, my truck that I chopped the top on (well started to chop it, it took me a couple of years!) about two months after turning 16. I have done everything in this industry, used car body work (that first job) full time painter at a collision shop next, then full on restoration body and paint at another. Then a few different including painting semi trucks. Then back into collision and then onto my own shop for 13 years where I did everything from cleaning the toilet to paint and body, restorations, customs, chop tops and what not, to collision work on late model cars. Closed that, then became a parts man because my mind was fried with the whole shop ownership (I respect small business owners BIG TIME) then a paint rep for S-W for 4 years (learned a LOT there!) then back into the collision industry where I have done everything from body to paint to estimating to parts.

Yep, for 41 years, done crap used car work, sat in an office writing estimates, put a car in the main arena of the GNRS that I did every single spec of body and paint work on, put another on the front page of a national magazine, again, doing every single spec of paint and body on. Replaced panels on month old new cars, made art out of car parts, went into hundreds of shops as a paint rep seeing everything you can imagine. Yep, I have been in this industry for my working life outside of delivering newspapers on my bike before I graduated high school.

You made me think of all this today and I thank you, I am getting close to retirement and this has been an awesome ride, I am very thankful for the gift God gave me to be able to do this stuff, some of it simply "work" but a lot of it enjoyable as hell!

I DIG seeing people who don't do this every day be able to. That's why I started writing my "Basics of Basics" not just to "tell someone" how to do something but to "put the tool in their hand" as they read it to give them the confidence that they could do it, even thought it wasn't their thing as it is mine. Goodness knows I have said things over the years not giving credit to those who deserve it. I did it to Dan right here on Hotrodders. I did a "Basics" on how to do a convertible top with all the info he gave me and I failed to mention him in that "Basics" I posted elsewhere. When it was brought to my attention I went there and screamed from the mountain tops how much he helped me, he helped me so much I couldn't find a mountain top tall enough, I hope I made my mistake all good. No, I don't do it to toot my horn, I do it to help others be able to do it without spending the years I have busting my knuckles (or more appropriately "grinding my knuckles" LOL got a few hurting fingers as I type this.) But that is why I did them, not to toot my horn.

As I said, I didn't get good grades, I still ask my wife all the time how to properly punctuate or spell, I want it to look proper. It's funny, I need some "Basics of Basics" on English to do them! LOL

But thank you so much for the chuckle today. It sounds like I have faked knowing the English pretty well then huh? Thank goodness for spell check!

It's all good Mike, take it easy.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug 1 1977.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	437377  
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Hipster_G (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:35 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Good advice as always John, my point is It's nothing new it's been around for years it's called a pressure pot. In fact deadbodyman posted that gravity gun with the hose quite a few years ago. It could very well have been an original thought from our friend Brian but it sounded to me like he's taking credit for someone else's idea and I wouldn't have realized it if I didn't go back and breeze over everything from post 2 and on. So thanks for that it was wrong for me to assume that just turning the gun upside down was all there was. BRian, if that was truly your own thought then fantastic glad to see your thinking out of the box. If not shame on you, I've seen many out of the box ideas from deadbodyman posted this is one I remember and tried myself a long time ago.
I recall this happening to a procedure I wrote about as well. No shame, I borrow techniques wherever it makes sense. Nobody's inventing the wheel here. I at least try it out and give it a good run before suggesting it to others, that way I'm aware of the pros and cons. If you aren't getting your hands dirty it's vague and not full of detail. Not suggesting Martin does this though

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in