Mustang II Steering mounting question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2018, 12:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mustang II Steering mounting question

Hi Guys,

New owner of a 1940 Ford Deluxe.

I got this car delivered to me and when it was coming off the car carrier it slipped on the wet ramps and fell of the ramps a bit. The only real damage is that it ripped the passenger side of the steering rack off of the mount as you can see in the photo.

The whole thing is a bit puzzling because it almost seems like there was never anything holding it on properly, but whatever, I just need to get it back together.

I'm also including a photo of the passenger side mount bolt setup as it came off the vehicle. There was no washer between the bolt head and the metal bushing (is there supposed to be?) and there was no rubber bushing between the head of the bolt and the mount on the rack itself.

What exactly am I missing here? A rubber bushing that faces the other one and a washer to hold it down underneath the bolt head?

I've been searching all over the place and nothing really shows me exactly how it's supposed to look. I'm hoping you guys can help me understand.

Third photo is the # on the rack itself. The distance between the mounts is 15.5". On the remaining rubber grommett it says Gould 63457.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	438251   Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_34CE451A-A77E-4288-9B25-0D2A24CF1F51.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	438253   Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_160D5F88-3017-4202-921A-0A0E14DE2F52.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	438255  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2018, 01:03 PM

MII rack

There should be two parts to the rubber bushing on each side. No need for a flat washer on the crossmember side but should be a flat washer on the bolt head side. As you can see the one bushing you have will only go about half way thru the rack mount. First I would try to put it back together and see if there has been internal damage by lifting the front end off the ground and try the steering. If you feel OK with the rack then it's time to hunt for new bushings and put it back together right. Appears you have a non-power rack, correct?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 master View Post
There should be two parts to the rubber bushing on each side. No need for a flat washer on the crossmember side but should be a flat washer on the bolt head side. As you can see the one bushing you have will only go about half way thru the rack mount. First I would try to put it back together and see if there has been internal damage by lifting the front end off the ground and try the steering. If you feel OK with the rack then it's time to hunt for new bushings and put it back together right. Appears you have a non-power rack, correct?
Hi, thanks for responding! Yes, manual steering. I already have it up on jack stands and am basically ready to put it back together, I just need the parts I guess. I'm fairly confident there's no real damage but if there is I'll just replace the whole thing.

So I'm missing just another one of those rubber bushings? You mentioned there are two parts on each side...two on EACH side or two total?

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Also, any idea if places like Pep Boys or O'Reillys or AutoZone would stock something like that? What would I tell them I'm looking for? A mounting bushing for a Mustang II steering rack?

Thank!
Old 11-25-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetwynd View Post
Also, any idea if places like Pep Boys or O'Reillys or AutoZone would stock something like that? What would I tell them I'm looking for? A mounting bushing for a Mustang II steering rack?

Thank!
Typo - THANKS!
Old 11-25-2018, 04:14 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

You would use 2 short bushings on each mounting bolt. That's 4 total. OR you could use 1 long bushing on each bolt. That's 2 total. I don't know about local parts stores but Speedway and Jegs or Sunnit would have them. I installed lock nuts on mine.

Good Luck.

454 RATTLER
Old 11-25-2018, 05:13 PM

MII rack

Go to Rock Auto, and look up a 1975 MII, then under steering you will find the bushings you need. Pictures too! As a side note if you ever decide to upgrade to power steering you can use a 1988 non-sport T-bird rack. Much cheaper. The price at Rock Auto is about $17 and price at Auto Zone is much higher but does come up. Use your existing bushing to match what you need because it appears there are two different types, one piece and two piece. Rock Auto is your friend if you have the time.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:11 AM
Curmudgeon at Large

Quote:
Go to Rock Auto, and look up a 1975 MII, then under steering you will find the bushings you need. Pictures too! As a side note if you ever decide to upgrade to power steering you can use a 1988 non-sport T-bird rack. Much cheaper. The price at Rock Auto is about $17 and price at Auto Zone is much higher but does come up. Use your existing bushing to match what you need because it appears there are two different types, one piece and two piece. Rock Auto is your friend if you have the time.
If you do upgrade to the Tbird rack, note that the mount centers are 16". Speedway has offset bushings to use with your 15 1/2" mount holes. I used these parts to replace my original 1974 MII rack.
I think I have a new set of center hole bushings that came with the new rack, I can check later on today. Yours if you want them!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Curmudgeon at Large

I do have a set of 4 center hole bushings bushings that came with the T-bird rack, new & unused. Let me know if you want them.
Another note if you decide to upgrade to the T-bird PS rack. The splined steering shaft is 1/2 higher than the MII shaft.

Last edited by Bob37pont; 11-27-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in