Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - My first sbc build
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
In my personal experience the mechanical always performs better for my intended usage. I drive my junk hard, and am not looking at fuel mileage in my toys. I'm also not very good at setting up a VS Carb and find them very frustrating. That's a "me" issue as I haven't spent any time learning. I know I followed the rule of thumb with 2 builds, both heavy cars and both small block street cars. Moderate converters, one with 3.55's and one with 4.11's.... I used a 750VS secondary on both initially, swapped to a mechanical 750 and went significantly faster. Both drove excellent and sharp with no noticeable transition when the secondaries open (for some reason the inexperienced seem to think feeling a bog and the a big punch when the secondaries open is cool lol....it isn't). Yes mileage suffered in both cases but it was negligible. A good 3000 stall is very drivable and with a functioning lock up will perform virtually as stock on the highway.
A stout motor with a 750DP (I prefer Quick Fuel but its mostly a personal choice) a 3000stall, (for off the shelf I like Hughes, I think its pn# 22-30EL for your 4L60E) and a 4.11 gear would work very well.
I don't think I can improve on this answer.