My roadster build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 02:54 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,065 Posts
My roadster build

Finally figured out how to get a pic on here. This is the '27 roadster I worked on for several years. Started with the glass body, which I split down the middle and widened 8". You can see the added width in the firewall and on the rear apron. Frame rails were 2' x 6" mild steel. Made saw cuts through 3 sides to bend them, then welded up the saw cuts. Rear diff, rear suspension (Satchell link 4-bar), wheels and brakes from a Continental Mark V. The 2.80 gear was retained because I was building this car as more of a cruiser. I had a 4.30 pig under the bench, but decided it would be too much. 429 and C6 from a '68 Ford. '29 A radiator shell surrounding a 4-core Walker copper/brass radiator. Self-designed and built IFS made from 1 1/8" chromoly tubing, using Chevy pickup control arm bushings and Aldan Eagle coilovers. Mustang II power rack and pinion. Built the car on a 117" wheelbase so I would have plenty of room for the 18", 7-blade OEM steel fan, viscous drive and shroud. You may be able to see that all the added length is between the front of the motor and the radiator. I had a 2 1/2-gal Moon tank that was scheduled to go in between the frame rails at the front.

Measured with a dial indicator, zero bump steer through 9" of travel (4 1/2" in bump, 4 1/2" in droop) in the front suspension. As viewed from the front, the inner tie rod pivot point lined up with the lower control arm mount at the frame and the outer tie rod pivot point lined up with the centerline of the lower ball joint. Everything swung through the same arc, so it was all happy with each other. 3 1/2 degrees of camber gain at full bump. Steering arms were fabricated from mild steel and heli-arced to the Lincoln spindles with additional gusseting.

The 1 1/2" square tubing you see at the bottom is the floor of the car. I built it to accomodate a 6'-6" driver with plenty of elbow room afforded by the 8" width addition. A Jerry Kugel 90 degree brake pedal assembly was mounted under the dash, using a 'Vette master cylinder and Midland-Ross booster. I had seats from a VW GTI and windshield from an MG that weren't mounted yet when this pic was taken.

New spring cups were fabricated and welded in at the rear to accomodate Speedway 5" diameter coil springs so that the car could be dialed in. Their springs are available in rates from 125 to 600 lbs/in.

The 429 looks lost in there doesn't it. I'll try to post some detail shots of construction if I can find the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	31485  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Wiki Edits: 0

That early A shell looks good on the 26/7 body I'd like to see different angle pics of the wide body...sounds cool and from what I see, the peoportions look good so far.

26/7 bodies are cool any way you look at them
Old 07-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Thats good of you to post that so the guys can see a real rod in progress..Good job..

Sam

Old 07-27-2008, 07:31 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,065 Posts
One thing I forgot to detail is the seats. These were from a '86 VW GTI and were the best fitting seats I've ever sat in. I found them in a boneyard car. Black leather and not a scratch on 'em. Someone had unbolted them and they were just sitting loose in the car. I soon figured out why the guy didn't go ahead and take them. The seat tracks were made into the floorpan of the car, so they didn't come out. I guess he figured they wouldn't work without the tracks. Not so, kemosabe!!! Gave the man $100 and loaded them into the back of my truck.

I went to another boneyard and discovered 8-way power seats in a couple of '93 Tempo's. Scored two driver seats and tracks for $75. Didn't give a hoot about the seats, it's the power tracks I was interested in. These particular seats are neat because there are only two wires to the motors. Hot and ground. The OEM seat switch is mounted at the front of the seat. It was pretty easy to tear the seats off and adapt the VW seats to the Ford tracks with some scrap steel I had and was made double cool by fabricating brackets on the front of the VW seat frames to mount the actuating toggle. Bingo, two nice 8-way power buckets for $175 and a little work.

Last edited by techinspector1; 07-27-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in