Mystery motor ID ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2020, 02:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mystery motor ID ?

Purchased an 81 Z28 from a dealer who knew nothing about the crate motor that was in it. The ID numbers on the passenger front of the block are as follows : small font. 14B55181. Larger font. T 12130TA. Any help in identifying this engine would really be appreciated. Thank,you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 03:10 PM

Is there a liter designation at the left rear of the block above the bellhousing flange?

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2020, 04:31 PM

Mystery...more numbers

Looks like GM...... W8088.. Thanks! (Not sure on the W)

Old 01-14-2020, 03:42 AM

Thanked 1,471 Times in 1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wskottka View Post
Purchased an 81 Z28 from a dealer who knew nothing about the crate motor that was in it. The ID numbers on the passenger front of the block are as follows : small font. 14B55181. Larger font. T 12130TA. Any help in identifying this engine would really be appreciated. Thank,you!
The first number is the partial VIN of the vehicle the engine originally mated with. The number 1 denotes it was a Chevrolet, the letter B denotes the behicle was assembled at the now closed Baltimore plant.

The second number is the engine assembly number the T denotes Tonawanda, the numbers denote the assembly date, the TA suffix makes no sense in terms of that code hadn't been used for engines since 1956. On the drivers side of the block's bellhousing flange should be a series of numbers of seven to eight digits in length. These are the block casting number which pinpoints the bore diameter and sets a period of time that casting was used, this is helpful in getting to displacement and time period.

Bogie
Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 AM

Mystery motor

Thanks so much I'll see if I can find the additional numbers.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:11 AM

Pics in here for number locations.

https://www.mortec.com/location.htm
Old 01-14-2020, 09:39 AM

The only numbers I can find on the rear of the block follow. They are cast and open to interpretation. Either GM W8088. Or........GM T 18083. Sorry can't be moe specific.,I,really appreciate the help. Just knowing it's a 350 would be reassuring! Dipstick is on the driver side, and it has roller rockers. Thanks again
Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 AM

I had pictures of the rear pad numbers forever and just deleted them. Mine has the code people are talking about then in larger letters says 5.7L. Blocks are usually referred to by the last 3 numbers. You can also google engine decoding and work your way through the number on the front. It’ll tell you what cars it was used in and that can narrow down what it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2020, 10:43 AM

Thanks,very much. It's a bear to get under the car, but there's only so much you can do with a mirror and
Flashlight. Will report back what I find after I get her in the air. Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:54 AM

You shouldn’t have to get under the car. Last picture in post 6 is right behind the driver side head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2020, 03:47 PM

Pull the valve covers.

This will give you numbers to work with and a good idea the condition of the engine.
Not saying that it does not have 305 heads on a 350 for a compression bump. But generally if you come across a 350 heads you can get a good idea of what is under those heads.
Rockers can tell some information. But not always.

Good idea to peek under those covers to look for issues as well as replace any junk gaskets with some blue felpro ones to prevent leaks.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:19 PM

Thanked 1,471 Times in 1,159 Posts
I'm somewhat surprised that a crate engine shows these codes. A new crate engine would not include a partial VIN since that belongs to the chassis so crate engines do not include the partial VIN. Also, commercial mass rebuilders generally zero deck their blocks which mills these ID's off. Some thoughts:

- The block is original check the body ID to see if the engine's partial fits into the chassis VIN.

- It's not really a crate motor in the sense above but something from a private rebuilder that just doesn't whack the ID off as they only deck the block if needed or maybe as a cost savings measure just don't.

- For the period of manufacture Chevy did not put roller rockers in anything, so if it has them, somebody's been at least valve cover deep in it.

As Cerial suggested pull a valve cover the head casting number is in there, assuming it has GM heads. This isn't a guarrantee but 350 heads are not shared with 305's but they do interchange and can be out in the field.

The engine suffix ID just doesn't connect with GenI SBC's except for 265 and 283 engines from a long, long time ago.

The block casting number will id the bore diameter and put a circle around the decade it was cast in.

The position of the dipstick right side basically 1986 to current OTC (Over The Counter), GM crate motors; on the driver's or left side 1986 or older.

Bogie
Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 AM

No longer a mystery motor!

Thanks to you all, I think I solved the mystery. Crawling into the engine compartment, a I got a better look at the block casting. I had misread the 3s and 8s. The correct number is 330817. This references out to a "small block 400' 2 bolt main, 1972 to 1980. I then pulled a valve cover to find the head
casting number of 333882. This is listed online as "74 - 80 350/400' 76 cc chamber". Apparently the 400 is externally balanced and popular with dirt track racers. I still have to figure out the TA designation but am working on it. (By the way, the heads were spotless inside,,with 1.52 Comp Cam roller rockers). Thanks again to everyone!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in