Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - N/A Chevy 305, to efi engine, which is best?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 3,215 Times in 2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefspheare View Post
Thanks guys I'll look into the 5.3. But to be clear, my stock engine, the 305, puts out 150 horse, and 240 ft lb. of torque, so pretty much anything would be better, but I do have a quick question, how reliable is the 5.3?
Very...guys are buying these junk yard engines, doing little more than opening up the ring gap, adding head studs and new head gaskets, and maybe a mild performance cam if they are feeling frisky....then adding a turbo or two and making 600 HP up to near 1000 HP on the stock short block. Not even touching the bottom end other than to inspect and make sure there isn't some problem there that put it in the junkyard to begin with.

About the only reported failure that is common enough to be mentioned is hydraulic roller lifter failure on engine with high mileage, 160k to 250k mileage area. If you swap them out as soon as you notice noise, it isn't a problem. It's the folks who ignore it and hope it will fix itself that get burnt by it. Even then, it isn't extremely common.