N/A Chevy 305, to efi engine, which is best? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2019, 03:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have a retired mechanic who attends my church, he say he'll help people with their mechanic work for like $20 an hour, and he usually works for $30 an hour. He would be able to help me with a lot of stuff. I'm a minor so that's why I know next to nothing. I ask a lot of questions, and research a lot, I really appreciate your guy's help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 03:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,215 Times in 2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefspheare View Post
Well my local Spalding's shop says they have a conversion engine, (1999 5.3) with all the wiring and computer stuff, and they would pull it and test it, computers and all. It would be almost $2000 though. They're in Spokane Washington, is that a good price? It has 125k miles on it.
IMO, too much, you can find that entire package for 1/2 of that....I don't consider the "testing" worth the additional $1000.
That price is more in line with the bigger 6.0 or 6.2 engine package.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:54 PM

It would be $1800 without the testing, I'm just guessing it would be an extra $200 for testing. Where would I find a cheaper one?

Old 06-14-2019, 04:03 PM
More for Less Racer

Just keep searching, got to be more than one wrecking/salvage yard near Spokane.

CraigsList
Old 06-14-2019, 05:46 PM

What is your current drivetrain in the k10?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:46 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
What is your current drivetrain in the k10?
First post says 5.0L (305) and 700R4.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:43 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

Do you have an idea of your overall budget for the total upgrade? Swapping in and upgrading a traditional SBC 350 or 383 can be done through incremental upgrades, so it might be less painful and easier to manage the cash flow. Swapping in the LS 5.3 is a good alternative, but you have to buy a lot of parts up front and do a lot of work up front before you have a working truck.

The full LS conversion/transplant is very dependent on getting the computer system and wiring installed and working correctly, so getting help from an old-school mechanic might not be that effective. You already said you are not that skilled with wiring yourself, but for this project you really need to start studying and learning. It is not rocket science, but it does require careful labeling, good wire routing, and attention to detail for grounding and making connections. Make sure you have lots of space to lay it all out, and that you don't have to clean up and put it all away mid-stream just to get space for another project. Its really easy to lose track of where you were at if you have to box it all up for some reason.

If I was going to make the LS conversion I would prefer to buy a wrecked vehicle and pull the donor engine and transmission myself, making careful notes and lots of pictures as I went along.

Bruce
Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 AM

I have to ask again, will it all be worth the time and money? What kind of mileage would he expect after the swap? Maybe an LS I saw mentioned but if it's a 1999 like he looked at, mine is a 2000 and I get 10 - 12 mpg. I just turned 100,000 the other week (there was a few years I didn't drive it and now I only work part time). Mine is a 350 and it's a lame pig. Time for it's 100,000 mile tune up but it's always run the same.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 master View Post
There are a ton of hidden cost with the 5.3 swap that you should know about before you start.
Yep. I have buddy who bought an LS1 and auto trans out of a wrecked Camaro for his 55 Chevy car. Pretty good deal for $1500. Well, around $3000 later, he still doesn't have everything to finish the job. He said he'd probably build an old skool 383 if he had a do-over.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Capt Mike

clefspheare

The truck LS engines are nearly all cast iron block and the yards sell good running usable engines with the ECM and engine wiring for in the $1K +/- area. Most Street Rod owners that I know all want the Camaro / Firebird or Corvette engines that are aluminum blocks.

Programming a power or econ tune, $250, including deleting the rear 2 Oxy sensors, speedo cal etc. in many places.

The weakest link for almost all LS engines are the roller Rocker trunions, usually a performance engine requirement - around $150 a kit.

use a 1999 or 2000 GM ECM and up to 2008. The E38 ECM 2005 to 2008 best choice.

If you shy at wiring of and an engine swap, do look for a valued shop. Get Shop customer references of previous LS swaps (installs) that you can speak with,,, preferably in person and view the vehicle !!

Wiring should be neat and orderly. Welding on the exhaust, mount / trans mounts, radiator, fuel lines and tank must be top quality or you'll have issues.

A $2k installed swap is a very good price if this includes of the labor, engine / trans, wiring, in-the-tank fuel pump, ECM re-programming and wiring harness mods which are always removing wiring that is not used in a conversion. Make sure you get this is a shop's written contract. Never pay UP FRONT $$$ to any shop, EVER. And get some sort of written warranty.

It's always better to purchase the entire donor car or truck so one receives all the parts they can from the vehicle, wreaked vehicles preferred. Saves $$$

Here's the engine bay in my '56 210. We made this upgrade conversion in 2007. Last summer I finally replaced the old headers with tuned BBK shorties. I've never had a single repair or failure on the LS1 / Tremic T-56 6 speed to date. Ls engines are fantastic great power and high reliability.

Good luck

Michael...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Betty Headers 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	444383  
Old 06-19-2019, 08:01 PM

Just pull out your 305 and install a 355/383.
Done simple and easy. Save a couple thousand not needing to change the fuel, exhaust, mounts, etc.

Respect the truck for what it is.
A work truck.
Squarebodies were not designed to go 90mph or have a 10 second quarter. Throw enough money at it and sure it can do those things. But there are better platforms that will do it better for less.

If you want better driveablity you can always grab a junkyard tbi system off a 5.0/5.7 and "hack" it using megasquirt or other system.

Mileage wise your realistically talking about 3-5 mpg. Anytime I have added power to something my foot tends to get heavier. Even going down in cubic inches with a small turbo in place of a large displacment v8 (454 to 3800) mileage tends to be about the same.

Best way I have found to get better mileage is to have a 30+mpg car and then a 10mpg truck.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:44 PM
Modifier

clefspheare, If your current engine is still good a cheap option would be to stick a throttlebody off a v-6 or 350. Grab one from the junkyard and replace in internals, again cheap. While there grab a ecu they generally have a last 3 of the # on it of something like 747. The harness, and a few sensors, and chip can be bought from Affordable Fuel Injection or Howell. I've done a TBI swap for less than $500.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in