Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Name the iconic features of 30s, 50s, 60s GM cars
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 AM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 3,134 Times in 2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Here, let me fiddle with the choke and try another yank.

"60"s- Round Chevelle taillights. GSX chin spoiler. 442 hood scoops. GTO Endura bumpers. I realize those are mostly 70s items but they fit my criteria for the late era.

I'm not old enough for the other eras but the concept could apply to each time window and one may make more sense than the other once I hear other opinions. I want to dream up rides that incorporate the best, most distinct and unique brand features on one car and call it chevroldsmobuiac. More of a design exercise than a build idea but you never know.
Chevelles only had round tail lights in '71, '72, and '73 model years.

Corvettes from '63 into the '80's are round.
Camaro '70-73 only.
Corvair all years were round
Full size '60-65 only.
ChevyII and Nova, never had a round tail light.
Styling trends?
Pontiac - late 50's thru late until they were closed - split grill/beaked bumper or hood/beaked header panel. 1970's SHAKER hood!! A lot of twin opening small scoop hoods on GTO and Formula Firebird. Slotted or slitted tail light trend too.
Buick - mid 50's or maybe earlier through early 70's is fender porthole styling and late 60's-early 70's everything has nearly fender skirt like rear wheel openings., very low over the tire.
Olds - 60's styling very boxy/squarish looking, split grill with hood tongue in the middle, the twin scoop hood you mentioned.

Never thought Chevy to have any really Chevy specific styling trend that was at a glance Chevy specific.

Pontiac I think was the most distinctive and at a glance identifiable. From front or rear.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-14-2019)