Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Name the iconic features of 30s, 50s, 60s GM cars
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
I assume you are thinking something along the lines of the "7-8-9" concept car, the mash-up of '57, '58, and '59 Chevy Impala styling on a modern corvette chassis??

Just something more inclusive to all the GM brands mixed together??

Or just wanting to move certain styling trends or specific elements like hood scoops across the brand lines and see what might look decent??

Sorry, had to take the 789 pics out! Ew, no. Not that. Last sentence, yes. Exactly.

I would rather not mix eras. I did give some thought to the breakdown of years. And I dd say drop a 64 Imp lid on a 54 which would be in violation of the "rules" according to my own cutoff year choices. To see if anybody was listening. Incidentally, I just tried that and used a 48 Chevy coupe. I stopped, thinking no that might work better on a 54.

Then I took a 70 Monte and tried a Cutlass Supreme's quarter window openings and back window angle on it. The proportions are a little off but hey that looked good! Then I tried same on a Grand Prix and no no no.

I currently have a 66 GTO roofline hovering over a GP. And next is to try 68-9 Chevelle rear roof stuff on other stuff.

So thats what I am up to. If we stuck to 68-72 A body, my favorite, answers like I would like could say:

Chevy SS cowl induction hood, Buick GSX chin spoiler, Olds base Cutlass body, Judge rear spoiler.

Or

Chevelle tail lights, Buick GS wheels, 442 front end, Grand Prix door handles.

Appearance features. Things that may or may not bolt up but only things that come from cars from other divisions in nearby years.

I guess it IS a loaded question. Seemed simple when thought of it. Name the cool elements and leave imagining them mixed together to me. Lets try it another way...

Which 68-72 A body has the coolest hood?

Which 62-67 B body has the coolest tail lights?

Which 73 A body has the coolest front end?