Name the iconic features of 30s, 50s, 60s GM cars - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2019, 02:56 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 3,133 Times in 2,628 Posts
I've seen the '68-69 Chevelle fender lip/wheel arch styling put on the '70 Chevelle...it looks really good, IMO better than the stock 70-72 profile.
'70-72 El Camino and Wagons still used the '68-69 wheel opening design, so that made the 70 Chevelle swap easy on the front to just use Wagon fenders, then the guy grafted '69 rear quarters onto the '70 body.
Look at a '72 El Camino and then a '72 Chevelle and you'll spot the difference easier.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,599 Times in 2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
I've seen the '68-69 Chevelle fender lip/wheel arch styling put on the '70 Chevelle...it looks really good, IMO better than the stock 70-72 profile.
'70-72 El Camino and Wagons still used the '68-69 wheel opening design, so that made the 70 Chevelle swap easy on the front to just use Wagon fenders, then the guy grafted '69 rear quarters onto the '70 body.
Look at a '72 El Camino and then a '72 Chevelle and you'll spot the difference easier.
I never thought about that, even though I had a 68 and a 72. Interesting! Seems like I recall hearing that Camino fenders were different somehow. Wheel lips were pretty much rotted off the 72 SS. Off to look at examples and ponder.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:52 PM
More for Less Racer

They are slightly different, the back edge won't match the door because the door has a hint of the "muscle bulge" body line on the front 6" or so of the door.

Car I saw pictures of, the door was reskinned with a '68-69 skin.

I think that was the only difference, but there might have been some difference up front at the headlight extension.
****yep, quick search says the fender extensions are different too.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Grand Prix User

I won't spit hairs. Didn't even make it that far. Of all the roofline switcheroos I tried today, nothing was working out . This was the only thing that caught my eye enough to make a presentable pic-

Thats the tops of same year GP quarters and extensions. Suddenly, fastback! Thats how it struck me anyhow. A little. Windows and roof are unchanged. It was just interesting, no great whoopie but theres a start.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:05 AM
More for Less Racer

Not a true enough fastback to satisfy me...but you don't have any viable examples to rob from in the GM stable except the Bill Thomas Chevy II's.

The tail of the rear quarter on that '69 rendering I can live with, but it doesn't work with that rear roof line IMO...needs something like the formal roof of the '70-72 Cutlass Supreme.

Another interesting rendering that never existed:

Old 06-16-2019, 04:41 AM
Grand Prix User

Yeah, I'm not looking to create a fastback just because they didn't make one. And the edit is a clash but I see potential. Actually, using the CS quarter tops would probably look better but I ain't changing away from the 68-9 window shape on that car. Other way around, maybe.

Its plain to see theres no interest in this idea or thread and I don't stand to gain any valid input other than to maybe get corrected when I haven't said a wrong thing. So I'll keep it to myself. Thanks for talking it over with me but I don't think my concept is even explainable to other humans. It is bound to fail no matter what though, I see that.

Backing away slow and quiet.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 AM
More for Less Racer

Oh well.....I was enjoying seeing what might develop.

Very hard to second guess GM designers, especially if you ever look at old photos of some of the dozens of engineering clay models they do to arrive at a final design....and that's after 10 times as many sketches and doodles are passed around.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
Oh well.....I was enjoying seeing what might develop.

Very hard to second guess GM designers, especially if you ever look at old photos of some of the dozens of engineering clay models they do to arrive at a final design....and that's after 10 times as many sketches and doodles are passed around.
Oh well yep, it would take 3 or 4 people with time and inclination to study on it and others would think its an Australian or Canadian variant if seen on the road, if I did come up with something. Heaven forbid that I'd mess with things from before me, thats a would-be designer's greatest mistake. I know how it is with bodywork experimentation, the risk of humiliation is too high for me to publicly explore that path without sufficient guidance around the faux pas ideas while using the shotgun approach. I didn't think that would be the need, and its too much work also.

So as you said, many doodles. But on my own. I have learned how many by practicing photo edits for jobs at work and forum dudes. Working with other people's ideas is fun but can be a challenge. My own concept will continue to incubate in the dark.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in