Need a custom painter to fix ruined airbrush job - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2015, 04:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Need a custom painter to fix ruined airbrush job

Looking for an airbrush artist / car painter to fix (repaint) my drag car. I had it recently done but it was not what was agreed to nor wanted. I have to get it all repainted and new airbrush artwork done.

This is a 1972 Camaro setup for drag racing. The theme is B-17s of WWII. It is dedicated to my dad's bomber group, the 351st out of Polebrook England, from 1942-1945. All four squadrons are represented in the tribute.

The work done on it was supposed to be airbrushed (as in "art") but instead it was decaled/stenciled and then clearcoated before I even saw and approved it all. Needless to say the place/guy that botched it won't fix or refund the $15,440 that was paid for the paint job. So looking for someone to redo and do it right.

Any ideas or recommendations for a reputable and quality artist/shop?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Yup Eddie Harris..

https://www.facebook.com/eddie.harris.359778

You can contact him through his facebook page.

Sam
Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look. Do you know if he has a storefront, website, or other contact info other than facebook? (I don't 'do' facebook).

Looking for someone to completely repaint the car including artistic airbrushing (not stencil or decals).

Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM

Sam, thanks again for the referral. From here and some other places I am getting some great references to some really good (and honest) painters.

BTW, this is what I am dealing with:

Paint quotes to fix killer paint mistakes and ruined airbrush job
Old 12-02-2015, 01:41 PM

Last journal entry: Studebaker

I can't help you with a good painter but that is trash. I'm sorry you had/have to deal with this. I guess you just can't trust some people regardless of how much money you invest.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Yeah, that's the truth. There are some real cheats out there. I heard so much negative about that guy and his work AFTER this happened.

I've now heard many horror stories about him and similar happenings and treating people poorly in the past. Lots of other people in the same biz have had nothing good to say about him and lots of bad. Where were people before that I've no idea. Because when I checked things out it seemed okay. Then that car got there, the deposit was made and things just started going south quickly. Anyway, maybe in the future some people will be forewarned and won't get misled in the same way.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:20 PM

Sam,

Thanks for the referral. I talked to Eddie and a few others. Much appreciated because it was nice to talk to a pleasant professional.

It sucks to have 20-20 after the fact you know? If only I had known what a total cheat and ***-monkey Mike Lavallee was I could have avoided such an unpleasant, and unprofessional, person. Funny thing, I had considered pulling the car very early on due to "gut feeling" and the shop and person(s) itself. I should have listened to my instincts (I usually do!).

I may not get 100% satisfaction or all my money back but I am confident that I will recoup something. I sure hope for other people's sake in the future that this lavallee guy's crooked ways are better known so other folks don't get cheated like me.

By this summer I should be back on track and moving forward with it all fixed properly. The loss of almost a year of planning is about as bad as the $20K+ financial loss too.

I guess that is a glass half full way of looking at it is that it it pales in comparison (IMO) to a person that seems to have lost all integrity and honesty all for a buck.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

My approach to a job like this would be to have my regular painter guy strip what you have and then lay down the base coat color and then intercoat clear. then Eddie comes in and does his thing with the graphics. once Eddie is done then the lettering guy comes in and Eddie knows a good one. The lettering is done next. when all that is done then my regular painter guys will shoot the clear coat. I think Eddie had some surgery or something so would have to check on his schedule.

Takes some management skills to organize all this and get something acceptable..

Sam
Old 12-26-2015, 02:56 PM

Right-O. Eddie and a few others suggested the same process. A little more management like you said but keeps things where they should be.

Of course now to choose a place to do the strip and repaint and then clearcoat later on.

Doing it this way might also help financially instead of one huge bill all at once. What sucks is that Small Claims Court is limited to $5 K in WA. IMO it should be much higher but the lawyers wouldn't like that. At the very least I'll get that back since he hasn't a leg to stand on.

In the meantime I'll start the process of base painters or maybe check out some of the illustrators suggestions for a shop to do those parts of the job.

Tags
airbrushing, camaro, custom, painting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in