Need help with mufflers - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2019, 02:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
If you read the Jalopy Journal thread about Peel & Seal it seems that the "smell" issue is more propaganda from the expensive 'mat sellers than any real issue. got a few hundred rodders saying it doesn't smell.

It is a butyl rubber asphalt mix, I'd guess the butyl rubber helps encapsulate the asphalt and prevent 90% of any potential smell.

if I wasn't lucky enough to have lucked into 6 boxes of genuine Ford Motor Company foil backed sound mat(5.5" x 18", 72 per box.) I'd be trying out the Peel & Seal.
I'll still go for using Peel & Seal in the Vege race car, rather than waste the prime stuff.
It does not smell,I used it on the interior of my roof of my '54 almost 5 years ago where it has been parked in almost 120 degree heat here in Phoenix,next to the Peel & Seal at Lowes is the aluminum seam tape to use with it. You can hold your hand against it as long as you want try that on the roofs exterior and you be headed to the burn unit. I also applied it to the floor area above the electric fuel pump very noticeable noise reduction even with the Cherry Bombs close by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peel & seal.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	444227  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
Can't answer your question, but I have Dyno Max super turbo mufflers. They seem to be a good compromise. I don't know if they still do it, but they did have a "sound warranty", if you don't like them, send them back! I first got the shorter of the two sizes and didn't like it. Told cust service at Summit I wanted to return them because I didn't like the sound and they were like What??? She checked the warranty and let me return them. The larger ones I still didn't like at first but I got used to them. People tell me my car is a real sleeper with those mufflers so I take it they sound fairly quiet outside of the car also.
I have those on my car, the 20" long ones. I had glass packs, way too loud. The Dynomax has a short drone, comes in at 50 for a second and over or under it... gone. The mufflers changed tone, had them on the car over 2 years and they sound even better. I have 2.5" out to the rear bumper, but still loud inside the car, maybe I need to extend the pipes a bit. I have Fat Mat Rattletrap on the floor pan.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB28 View Post
It does not smell,I used it on the interior of my roof of my '54 almost 5 years ago where it has been parked in almost 120 degree heat here in Phoenix,next to the Peel & Seal at Lowes is the aluminum seam tape to use with it. You can hold your hand against it as long as you want try that on the roofs exterior and you be headed to the burn unit. I also applied it to the floor area above the electric fuel pump very noticeable noise reduction even with the Cherry Bombs close by.
Before application I cleaned the surface with Brake Kleen and laid down a coat of Rustoleum Aluminum paint.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 PM

Last journal entry: Electric windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdnblu View Post
Also, do you have an "H" pipe, or "X" pipe in your exhaust system? This will typically even out exhaust pulses, potentially diminishing the drone.
No I do not have a h pipe yet I went and baught 3 1/2 pipe and made my own exzaust It was the only way I could have the car running this year soon I will take to a shop and have them bend and redo the exzaust and have a h pipe put in
Old 06-15-2019, 05:52 AM

I had an X pipe and took it out. It ruined the whole hot rod BBChevy sound and actually gave it more of an even drone instead of the classic uneven left and right firing of the cylinders.
robertsh (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 old coupe View Post
No I do not have a h pipe yet I went and baught 3 1/2 pipe and made my own exzaust It was the only way I could have the car running this year soon I will take to a shop and have them bend and redo the exzaust and have a h pipe put in
For now, if budget is not available, couldn't you just get a pair of OEM-style mufflers from RockAuto or the part store? Something dirt cheap from a big V8 car , Crown Vic, old Impala or such, probably starting at 20 bucks a piece, and very quiet.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Another thought: Do you have the exhaust system rigidly mounted, or are you using standard rubber isolating exhaust hangers?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdnblu View Post
Another thought: Do you have the exhaust system rigidly mounted, or are you using standard rubber isolating exhaust hangers?

Also are the rubber hangers attached to the frame and not the body? That can make a big difference.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:29 AM

I was really on the cheap, foil-backed bubblewrap hvac insulation on the roof and backs of interior panels, Fatmat inside doors, trunklid and floor. Theres no carpet kit for a pro street henry j, so I bought bulk black automotive carpet on fleabay and did the carpet in a few sections, had each section welted(?) by a local sewing shop.
It does fairly decent, considering the headers and no AC.

Mufflers are 2.5" Classic Chambered 60's Z/28 style mufflers with an H-pipe and turnouts in front of the rear wheels. Motor is a 10:1 aluminum head LT1 with midlength headers and a mild cam. Its got some bark to it, but not a lot of the *rap-rap-poppity-pop-pop* decell stuff that my dads beloved cherrybombs are famous for. These are more like corvette sidepipes but a lot smoother after I stuffed the H-pipe in there.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 PM

Last journal entry: Electric windows

Sorry everyone been super busy at work.

Yes it’s has rubber mounts to the frame on 2 locations on both pipes one on the muffler and another on the tail pipe it’s not as loud now with both mufflers on it I can talk to the passenger and it still has the rumble when you step on it.

I’ve been looking at the head wrap.

Last edited by 38 old coupe; 06-18-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 AM

header wrap? If you like your headers? Don't do it. They seem to hold moisture in and the headers seem to rust out sooner than later. This is NOT scientific, just an observation from a kid who grew up at the dirt track and drag strip. A better deal would be a spray-yer-own ceramic coating
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
wave1957 (06-23-2019)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in