Need more compressor PSI can I connect 2 tanks together? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2018, 05:50 PM
I will always be a Gearhead

Wiki Edits: 0

Need more compressor PSI can I connect 2 tanks together?

HI I have a vertical 30 Gal electric air compressor that I purchased from HOME DEPOT a few years ago, which never keeps up with my demands if CFMS per certain tools.

I do have an old craftsman horizontal 33 gallon (Red in color) the tank is good. I need more CFM for DA sander and some pneumatic tools that require more cfm than the.

is there a way of connecting the two units so I could have the volume of 60 ish CFMs without blowing up both units and causing major damage.I would also need some good water separator because when I try to run the Vertical compressor I get moisture in the line and it of course it makes it way to the tool that am using at the time.

Please let me know if this possible to do and can I do it on some sort of a decent budget and it be safe to use.

I would appreciate any input on this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2018, 06:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

You can connect 2 compressors together sure. A tee fitting will do what you want. An extra tank on itself will do yo no good. If you don't have enough CFM, you need more pump, not more tank.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:03 PM

using the same compressor with two tanks will take longer to fill but longer use time but..... longer to fill

Old 03-17-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
You can connect 2 compressors together sure. A tee fitting will do what you want. An extra tank on itself will do yo no good. If you don't have enough CFM, you need more pump, not more tank.
Well, that makes more sense with more pump. I just need to figure out what type of electric extra pump?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name408gc View Post
using the same compressor with two tanks will take longer to fill but longer use time but..... longer to fill
I got that, however will taking longer to fill 2 tanks cause overheating of the Electric motor? I did notice today while using the DA the vertical tank was getting warm with the extra runtime of that electric motor....I wished I could get one of those commercial shop compressor but not in the budget. I thought about using a small inline 4 engine to uses as a pump for the tank or tanks, but I would need some sort of an electric motor the rotate it fast enough for the cylinders to pump enough air into the tank...sounds crazy I know
Old 03-17-2018, 06:26 PM

compressing air makes it hot... but is the motor over heating?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I don't think the motor is overheating. It has a safety shut off if the motor gets to certain degree.

any idea what other motor will possible work with current tank and give me enough air to not peter out when using my high air volume air tools.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
motor not overheating yet. It has a safety shut off if it gets to that point...
Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 AM

it's the pump not motor

is the problem. not enough cfm's. if u have a half hp motor and u put in a 5 hp motor u will see nothing different. as already said u can attach the extra tank for more cfm STORAGE but the pump needs to keep up with demand.. have u ck'd c/l for another compressor ??
Old 03-18-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill View Post
is the problem. not enough cfm's. if u have a half hp motor and u put in a 5 hp motor u will see nothing different. as already said u can attach the extra tank for more cfm STORAGE but the pump needs to keep up with demand.. have u ck'd c/l for another compressor ??
yes, not enough cfm for continuous use of a DA sander and some impact tools.

The unit i currently have is 1.9 HP I believe. I have been searching CL for something else and not sure what route I will take with this.

I just thought using an extra tank that I have on hand will allow to have more CFM of air and the motor would not cut on as much to keep up with the demand?

thanks
Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Do you regularly drain the water from your tanks?

I'd run the 2nd tank in series with the first tank so that the compressor pumps condensation into the first tank, then only air goes into second tank... as mentioned above, this will give you more air storage... this may allow you to finish using your tools before you run out of air... You might also be able to adjust your pressure regulator switch to restart the compressor the moment it senses some air usage... instead of after pressure drops way down...

What I would do is repair the 2nd compressor and use both of them at once... Harbor Freight and Northern Tools have motors and pumps at low prices if unable to fix the old one... sometimes they only need a minor repair, such as new one-way air flow reed valves...

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/comp...on-425738.html

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 03-18-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLOL View Post
Do you regularly drain the water from your tanks? No I don't drain the tank as much as I should. I believe I will drain after every use

I'd run the 2nd tank in series with the first tank so that the compressor pumps condensation into the first tank, then only air goes into second tank... as mentioned above, this will give you more air storage... this may allow you to finish using your tools before you run out of air... You might also be able to adjust your pressure regulator switch to restart the compressor the moment it senses some air usage... instead of after pressure drops way down... I will run the 2nd tank in series and I'm sure it will help with volume. I think I should be able to adjust the compressor motor hopefully to get it to cut on when it senses a drop in air. I will have to research it more. I'm using the Husky vertical 30 Gallon with electric motor. I haven't taken the cover off to see what under. I'm thinking an electric motor with a head and piston?

What I would do is repair the 2nd compressor and use both of them at once... Harbor Freight and Northern Tools have motors and pumps at low prices if unable to fix the old one... sometimes they only need a minor repair, such as new one-way air flow reed valves... I decided not to repair the old craftsman 33 gallon horizontal tank because the piston parts were going to cost almost as musc as the whole unit. I believe I will just use the tank

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/comp...on-425738.html
Thanks for the input
Old 03-19-2018, 01:47 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

you need more compressor and cfm, not more storage, nothing you do will increase the cfm without getting a bigger compressor
nobody can afford or power ''60 ish cfm'' in a home shop, that would require a $3500 compressor w/ 42 amp, 15 hp, 3 phase motor

cheap and/or old DAs use a lot of air, look for a DA matched to your compressor cfm
or buy more compressor
Old 03-19-2018, 03:24 PM

everyone has valid points from there point of view.

I will still try the 2 tanks recipe and see how that goes.

I will update this weekend with how it works out OR how it didn't work out.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:55 PM

Update..

I succeeded in connecting the two tanks in series. I fed from the main tank with the compressor to the 30 gal horizontal tank.

I can say as of not it works good and I will use it as long as the electric motor on the main compressor hold up, but the duty cycle is not going to make it.

thanks for all your input! I appreciate it

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in