Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Never ask "What else can go wrong?"
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Wiki Edits: 0

Never ask "What else can go wrong?"

This has been a year of one minor auto repair (under $300) after another at our house and then the engine in our '99 Alero had to be replaced a couple weeks ago. NOT so minor. I had to drive my Monte for a week and a half while the Olds was in the shop and at 50 miles a day and 13 MPG that hurt. Got the Olds back and parked the Monte until today. I pulled it out, did some of the repairs I had been putting off on the interior and shined it all up. I scrubbed the vinyl roof and had it looking as good as it has since buying it in February. I decided to run to the next town and halfway there passed a mini van that couldn't decide what speed it wanted to go. It felt kind of sluggish when I got alongside but then came out of it. I parked it and went into the store, when I came out I backed out of my parking spot and put it in drive and it revved up and barely started moving. Finally it started rolling but was definitely slipping. Got it out on the highway and once in drive it seemed to be OK. When I got home I checked the fluid and it was full but grayish black, about the color of clutch material. Doesn't smell burnt though. I started it up and pulled it around to the garage and it was OK but I think the damage is done. I have wanted to swap a 200-4R into ever since I got it but with the hit on the budget from the Alero incident it looks like the Monte may be a garage decoration for a few months. At least I have a good reason to give the Boss for a new 200-4R though!