new 390 HP Chevrolet SSR - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Instagram: partsretriever

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Wiki Edits: 7

new 390 HP Chevrolet SSR

background...
The SSR now comes with a good and healthy 390 HP, out of the now-infamous "gen 3" sbc. And a 6-speed manual. Now all they need to do is drop the price to $25,000, take the power seats out, and i'd buy it, money providing.

the beef...
But... How do they get the extra power form the plain-jane 6.0, which I think is around 300? The Escalade's 6.0 (h.o.) is 345 HP, since they have performance heads, I believe derived from the Z06.

my 2cents...
Either way, it'd be a lot more fun to drive than the earlier SSRs. All I need is money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssr.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	3243  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 02:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T...
Wiki Edits: 2

Should be in the Lounge I think, but....

Those GenIII engines are just asking to make power. The 5.3 is 295-305HP in '04 up depending on the vehicle and I think that the 6.0 is 345 in all vehicles now, but I could be wrong.

I am sure all they did was a little tuning and a cam change. Those engines are roller cammed with large port heads. I just wonder why they dont give all the vehicles a power boost. The potential is certainly right there.

Chris
Old 12-05-2004, 04:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SSR

You might get your wish on the price being reduced on the SSR's. My wife is F&I manager at the Dealership and those SSR's seem to be collecting more dust than selling. I think it's kind of like the 05 Vette. No one seems interested, the only 1 they have is still sitting there. GM's got the power plants but they want you to give up 3 generations of future children to buy one.
I've always been GM but I think this year Ford's New Mustang will give GM some competition.

Old 12-05-2004, 08:22 PM
BRB carring

chevys whole product line is sad, basically all isuzu's with chevy badges, seems like when they just get something goin good they will change it. the ssr is awesome, but the price! give me a break, the dealership around here dropped the price by $20000 because they were not selling, how can they do that! it just shows how much they are really worth. im sure the impala and monty carlo with either under go a major change (two more isuzu's) or they will be dropped totally. and to combat againt the fords new mustang, the camero will return, but as some bubbly un camaro like design. seems to me that the chevy product like has always been a couple years behinda nd i dont like it one bit, they are really starting to disappoint me.
1992 Dodge Shadow
1986 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Hot Rod
1970 Chevelle
1966 Chevelle 4 door
Home Made Go Cart
-----------------------------------------
Old 12-06-2004, 11:54 PM

bringing back the GTO was a great concept until they made it a 4-seater sporty luxo-corvette for $20,000 less and $6,000 more than a mustang GT. put that 6k into the GT and you could kill a Ferrari.

too bad GM doesn't understand us car guys usually aren't rich.

of course I could say the same about crysler-benz and getting a hemi in a car. It's sad.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Fortunately they are redesigning the GTO again for more of a muscle car type look. The new Corvettes are getting nothing but rave reviews and are actually less expensive than its older counterpart. Featuring a standard 400hp (and a 500 hp Z06 next year) engine its only a matter of time before they begin to sell.

I think the new Mustangs will do okay however they seem a bit underpowered (300 hp until the Cobra comes out in a year) and their suspension is designed around old technology.

Dodge is bringing back the charger with a 6.0 425hp Hemi engine (I think thats right) and they promise to design it as true to the name as possible.

Prices are a tad high. However 48,000 for a brand new Vette (check them out they are pretty cool) with 400hp isn't bad when compared to some of its European counterparts.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:05 PM

I still would take the mustang over the GTO- the solid rear axle is good and easy to modify for the drags (Cobras will have IRS I think), and it's a lot cheeper than the GTO.

I like the C5 looks better, the c6 engines better. (well of course)
Old 12-08-2004, 08:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
I still would take the mustang over the GTO.....
Me too. Not because I like the Mustang better than the GTO but I have a big problem when a US auto manufacturer builds a car in Australia and tries to pawn it off as an American muscle car. Sorry but American muscle cars are built in North America, not Australia, Germany, or Japan.

Centerline
Old 12-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I was hesitant about the C6's looks at first. But after seeing one up close and personal my doubts have left. The interior is a lot nicer than the C5's and I think the C6 just looks wicked.

If you go over to corevetteforum.com and look at the "spy" shots of the C6's Z06 they look pretty wicked too. Looks like they are going to pack a whole lot of rubber under that rear end as well. Id kill to own a new Z06 when they come out. That or a Lingenfelter. I imagine we'll actually see more Lingenfelters with the new Z06's simply because they will already have the 427 motor (which Lingenfelter normally puts in their suped up cars along with a twin turbo).

Should be exciting.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:09 PM

Excuse me, but the SSR is just plain butt ugly, that and it's price is why it is not selling. The new Vette is awesome, finally did away with those troublesome hidden headlamps. The only thing production wise hotter than the new Vette is the Ford GT, man I would trade my first born for one of those And please do not even mention the Viper, fast as hell in a straight line, but put it on a road course and watch it fall on it's face.

Vince
Old 12-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

My dad was at some body/paint shop in Vegas during the recent SEMA show I think it was. He was a Ford GT getting painted that had just been gone through by Saleen. I guess the Saleen versions are going to retail somewhere around $260,000.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Centerline
Me too. Not because I like the Mustang better than the GTO but I have a big problem when a US auto manufacturer builds a car in Australia and tries to pawn it off as an American muscle car. Sorry but American muscle cars are built in North America, not Australia, Germany, or Japan.

Centerline
Can't forget mexico, china, or any other place that has swearshops. Canada and the US, where the people are paid decent and all, and they have pride in what they're doing, would make me much more likely to buy one.

Quote:
Originally posted by 302/Z28
And please do not even mention the Viper, fast as hell in a straight line, but put it on a road course and watch it fall on it's face.

Vince
The Viper sounds like a Volvo 5-banger with a fart pipe.

I worked at a mope dealer for a year, and I've seen about 5 or 6 of those things come by. Mostly 90s, 2 of the new type.

I'd take a rat rod with a Buick Nailhead over a Viper.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in