New water pump instal leaking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 363
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 157
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
New water pump instal leaking

Hi,
I put in a new water pump on a 2003 Durango 5.9L using a Fel pro gasket.

The gasket is meant to be installed dry and clean, so that's what I did. I usually put some other sealer along with a gasket and don't have any leakes. Didn't use sealer this time and it didn't work out so well.

Right now the pump is very easy to get to, so I was thinking to give it another try with no supplemental sealer, or should I just run a bead of silicon on both mating surfaces along with the gasket.

The old pump did not have any other sealer.

Thanks.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:44 PM
silver74vette's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 175
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 41
Thanked 30 Times in 23 Posts
I rub a very thin layer of silicone over the whole gasket, don't want a bead squeezing out inside the passage and coming loose in the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2019, 12:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 363
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 157
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver74vette View Post
I rub a very thin layer of silicone over the whole gasket, don't want a bead squeezing out inside the passage and coming loose in the engine.
Yes, that's what I meant to say. Bead is not the right word.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 4,056
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 42
Thanked 490 Times in 459 Posts
Don’t use silicone sealer on anything. That is terrible sealer, and it will get into your cooling system. The excess silicone sealer does not dissolve.

Use a small amount of Permatex “The Right Stuff”. It seals between the gasket and accessory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 363
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 157
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink View Post
Don’t use silicone sealer on anything. That is terrible sealer, and it will get into your cooling system. The excess silicone sealer does not dissolve.

Use a small amount of Permatex “The Right Stuff”. It seals between the gasket and accessory.
The Right Stuff is my favorite, it's all I use.

I have a pretty strong feeling I forgot thread sealer on a bolt or 2. It's been about a year since I put the engine together, so I'm not sure, but that's what I'll check first.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:20 PM
55 Tony's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 1,221
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 150
Thanked 210 Times in 186 Posts
Edelbrock Gasaginch if that's how you spell it works well.
__________________
Young enough to learn ... too old to remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,812
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 256
Thanked 1,283 Times in 1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Monkeys View Post
Hi,
I put in a new water pump on a 2003 Durango 5.9L using a Fel pro gasket.

The gasket is meant to be installed dry and clean, so that's what I did. I usually put some other sealer along with a gasket and don't have any leakes. Didn't use sealer this time and it didn't work out so well.

Right now the pump is very easy to get to, so I was thinking to give it another try with no supplemental sealer, or should I just run a bead of silicon on both mating surfaces along with the gasket.

The old pump did not have any other sealer.

Thanks.
No sealer works great at the factory when the machines surfaces are fresh, new, straight, and super clean. After a few years in the field with some heat cycling if not over heating and the manufacturing stresses workout usually adding some contour to the machined surfaces, pile on some grit and grime and suddenly the poor old gasket is having a hard time sealing this up. So a little ozzey compound can help prevent going back in to fix it again.

Another thing to investigate is whether the mounting holes are blind or not. If not blind or cracks at the base, or drilled through when they shouldn't have been on blind holes or local casting cracks exist in the threaded area coolant can weep around the threads of the fasteners. Certainly if the threaded holes are not blind some thread sealer is needed, if not a little sealer can still cover these other contingencies.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
Infinite Monkeys (05-14-2019)
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 363
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 157
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogiesAnnex1 View Post
No sealer works great at the factory when the machines surfaces are fresh, new, straight, and super clean. After a few years in the field with some heat cycling if not over heating and the manufacturing stresses workout usually adding some contour to the machined surfaces, pile on some grit and grime and suddenly the poor old gasket is having a hard time sealing this up. So a little ozzey compound can help prevent going back in to fix it again.

Another thing to investigate is whether the mounting holes are blind or not. If not blind or cracks at the base, or drilled through when they shouldn't have been on blind holes or local casting cracks exist in the threaded area coolant can weep around the threads of the fasteners. Certainly if the threaded holes are not blind some thread sealer is needed, if not a little sealer can still cover these other contingencies.

Bogie
I always learn something new when I post on this site.

I've been through dozens of vehicles in the last 15- 20 years and did a lot of work on most of them. However I am still learning. This time I missed how badly the timing cover to engine water passage was pitted and that is where the leak was, not at the water pump as I had first thought. The rest of the cover looks good and there were no leaks from anywhere else.

Now I'll know what to look for next time.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	443381   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover 2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	443383  

Last edited by Infinite Monkeys; 05-17-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
454 block leaking around water pump or block area Riley Engine 16 07-04-2012 10:46 PM
65 Mustang (1975 302) overheating promblem. Water pump question Robert08 Engine 4 06-22-2008 12:45 PM
Water pump inlet extension steve392 Engine 4 05-05-2008 03:31 PM
Water pump leaking? Guy Hiltz Engine 2 05-22-2006 11:16 AM
water pump heater hose conenction.... oldcarguy85 Engine 3 04-07-2002 10:34 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.